Is criticism of Moderators a bannable offense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wardric:
Now, a serie of serious questions.

Are the staff members allowed to go look in our PM box for no legitimate reasons?
No. Not at all. There was a security breach and the staff member was researching what was going on. However, this should only be done with the user's knowledge and consent.

wardric:
If no, what would be a "legitimate" reason?
There are none.

wardric:
Would a User be told that his PM box was or will be accessed?
Yes, but that is not what happened, nor is it allowed.

wardric:
What would be, or would there be, a sanction if a mod would be caught checking in someone's PM box without autorization?
Permaban, and if warranted legal action.

I know this is a bit off topic but since we drifted into this subject, I tought it might be interesting.

There have been hacks developed that will allow an admin to read mail as they wished. We REFUSE such hacks on the principles of privacy. I have always put user's privacy first in almost all decisions on our board.

The line between troubleshooting and invasion of privacy is very fuzzy. I've been doing system administration for 10 years and I'm still not sure exactly where the lines are drawn...

It is easy to get caught up in the fervor when being critical about anything. Especially when it is something that all of us are so invested in.

We would like to think that it is "just the internet", but forget how important it can be to us, and our sport. It is so nice to have a gathering and meeting place for divers, without the bother, politics and expense of the local clubs.

Sometimes we need to be reminded, even if we are just reminding ourselves.

photohikedive:
yeah, so did she, when she looked over my shoulder :D
Good luck with that! After a while, the couch isn't all that bad...

MB:
Good luck with that! After a while, the couch isn't all that bad...

Hmmm...yet another affirmation of why I choose to remain single? :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom