Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Insurance should never be used as a license to dive in an unsafe manner or otherwise behave recklessly. That's an abuse of the system and will cause all of us to have to pay more. It's hard to accept in this entitled society, but accidents should be the exception, not the expected. While there are exceptions, when diving, you and you alone are responsible for your own safety. Remember, you can call a dive at any time, even before you splash. There's simply nothing down there worth getting, hurt, maimed, or killed over.

Well, from the comments on a post on the DT FB group, some people are now questioning diving at all. These appear to just be recreational vacation divers from what I can tell. I wonder this event will result in some people doing more research about facilities at their dive destination and sticking to mainstream locations with better medical care.

It does speak volumes…it shows a zero to hero mentality which can be part of chain of events leading to an incident.
It's the Sharkwater syndrome... people who want notoriety will often offer semi-celebrities a fast track to dive some incredible sights. Instead of taking the long route, they enable them to shortcut the training and experience to do dives most are not able or ready to attempt. That ultimately led to Stewart's death and all sorts of finger pointing. Here, we have a needless injury that could have been much worse. Instead of blaming themselves, they lash out at DAN. What have we learned? Obviously: nothing.

Well, from the comments on a post on the DT FB group, some people are now questioning diving at all. These appear to just be recreational vacation divers from what I can tell. I wonder this event will result in some people doing more research about facilities at their dive destination and sticking to mainstream locations with better medical care.
Often, it's just a few that spoil it for the rest of us. Reckless diving by one or two makes it harder for all of us. That makes it supremely selfish.

I've said so many times that I know I sound like a broken record. Know your limits. Honor them. They are more than just depth/time/gas. Training without the experience needed to really back it up is a quick way to get hurt. Diving should be a long journey of discovery, not a mad dash.

i am surprise also they didn't thing about in water recompression
Unless it was immersion pulmonary edema... that would have made it worse were he to do it on a rebreather and otherwise, it would take a butt tonne of O2. The symptoms, as I understand them, could be either.

DAN is an insurance company. If you fall off a ladder and break a leg, is your first call going to be to Blue Cross? If your house catches fire in the middle of the night, do you call Allstate?
Interesting thread, I am kind of on this page. I would certainly call Dan for their advice, or with a question (and have), but if I know that I am injured, I am doing what I need to do to get help on my own, and think about the insurance as an after thought. The most disturbing part of this for me were the issues with the credit cards. I have had the same experience with Visa, where they are telling me a charge is fine to go through, and it just doesn't. But that was for train tickets in Europe. Never occurred to me that, that would completely hose me in an emergency... I may have to get an AMEX...

Divers Alert network (DAN) has made a blog post statement

DAN BLOG STATEMENT

I thought this was a great response. Timely, transparent, taking accountability, and most importantly presenting action steps to improve upon. Exactly what I expected from them.

Could DAN have acted better in this situation? Yes. Did this situation warrant an unnecessarily public internet crusade against them questioning the value in continued membership? Absolutely not.

After reading the negativity towards DAN on other more "moderated" public forums, I made a donation last night. It'd be cool if others considered the doing the same..

Divers Alert network (DAN) has made a blog post statement

DAN BLOG STATEMENT
Based on this, DAN has taken full public responsibility for its errors with regard to this incident. DAN has analyzed it's errors, determined corrective actions, and started taking actions.

This is proper "Just Culture/Safe culture" behavior.

When will the others who contributed to this incident do the same?

Interesting thread, I am kind of on this page. I would certainly call Dan for their advice, or with a question (and have), but if I know that I am injured, I am doing what I need to do to get help on my own, and think about the insurance as an after thought. The most disturbing part of this for me were the issues with the credit cards. I have had the same experience with Visa, where they are telling me a charge is fine to go through, and it just doesn't. But that was for train tickets in Europe. Never occurred to me that, that would completely hose me in an emergency... I may have to get an AMEX...
Credit card (number) should be provided by the insurer if needed. If DAN agreed to cover the cost of the treatment as well as transport, they should have provided the cc infromation over the phone. I see in the blog that they will have this now as a corrective measure but it should have been sop. I use AquaMed and to my knowledge, this is how they do it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom