Is it okay to store scuba gear in the garage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garages in TX are hot. OK for tanks and weights (and lawn mowers and cars). The rest of my scuba gear enjoys the comfort of heating and AC. The garage would probably be OK for the washer & dryer. That space might fit a small scuba gear cabinet.

Agreed about TX garages being hot (certainly during summer at least). Due to space constraints, I've had to prioritize what gets stored where:

Garage---tanks/weights/wetsuits/fins/some BCs

Indoors---all small neoprene items (booties/gloves/hoods/beenies/socks) masks/snorkels.....some BCs.....all reg sets/computers...all lights/batteries......all spare parts.

My garage is pretty clean with no real concerns about fumes from any volatile chemicals/gasoline....my main concern is summer heat, I keep the garage door open a little and attic door open a bit so hot air can rise from garage into attic somewhat......haven't noticed any real deterioration in the garage stored neoprene items or the BC's.

As long as it is not near any solvents, petroleum products, and temp extremes it should be fine. I don't have a garage and so my gear is stored in my home office/service area and on a large rack in my bedroom. As well as in the kitchen, living room, etc. Living alone does, at times, have it's plusses.:D

Wont disagree with you there Jim..
Being able to store whatever you like, wherever you like, without any objections IS convenient :D

Another issue should be considered when storing scuba equipment is the broad topic of wildlife. 2 examples follow.

Spiders - during gearing up for a number of dives, I have seen these animals crawl out of wetsuits & dive bags whose owners use garden sheds for storage. It is a good idea to have a look before sticking a leg or an arm into a wetsuit.

Cockroaches - a dive buddy who once lived in northern Australia complained about these guys eating the skirts off silicone masks. This is another reason for retaining and using the boxes that are supplied with many brands of mask.

FYI, I store all of my gear inside the house because of temperature range, chemical, cleanliness and security issues. In particular, wetsuits (when dry) hibernate in the wardrobe during winter while the drysuit (& undergarment) lives in a large plastic box (with lid) behind the master bedroom door during the summer.

Thanks for all the input. The garage has built in cabinets which should help offset some of the heat. SoCal can get little hot at times but not like Tx. I don't have solvents or chemicals, and the only car fumes are to get the car in and out for driving.

I haven't really told my wife about some of my new purchases but she didn't blink when she saw my new dive light. She actually asked me the other day why I haven't bought regs yet!! I don't think she knows what the cost of Atomic T2x regs are!!

Masks are kept in the cases, the BC is laid flat along with wetsuit, and any spider or other bug better not be in the foot pocket when put the booties on!

Appreciate all he input.

Make sure she dont GET to know what the price of them are and buy them :p

Agreed about TX garages being hot (certainly during summer at least).

My garage was big enough that I enclosed a 3' wide by 7' long section along a wall, finished it out and have a small window AC unit in it to make a temperature/humidity controlled room with the blessings of my wife as she now stores some clothes there also. Total cost was ~ $600 including $129 for the AC.

Temps in my garage were as high as 120 this past summer. In my closet - 70 degrees.

My garage was big enough that I enclosed a 3' wide by 7' long section along a wall, finished it out and have a small window AC unit in it to make a temperature/humidity controlled room with the blessings of my wife as she now stores some clothes there also. Total cost was ~ $600 including $129 for the AC.

Temps in my garage were as high as 120 this past summer. In my closet - 70 degrees.

Wow that is dedication. I cringe at turning on the AC for just a bedroom, never mind making a whole room and keeping it cool specifically for dive gear! Awsome :)

Im careful with AC in the bedrom too, but thats because I tend to get stuffed up if its running all night. And then I have to abort a dive because I cant equalize and then the others see a whaleshark or something and I miss out and then...

You get the drift :p

Im careful with AC in the bedrom too, but thats because I tend to get stuffed up if its running all night. And then I have to abort a dive because I cant equalize and then the others see a whaleshark or something and I miss out and then...

You get the drift :p

Your excuse is much better, I'm just cheap! LOL, and a wuss to cold

Back
Top Bottom