Is it okay to store scuba gear in the garage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am about to lose my storage space in our spare room, and my wife is cleaning out some space in the garage storage cabinets. She would like to move my scuba gear from our spare study room to the garage.

I had heard due to temperature and chemical issues that the garage may not be the best place for wetsuits and the rubber for the BC. Any thoughts?

Who stores their gear in the garage v. who stores their gear in the house?

Thanks.

The only thing that really ought to stay out of the garage is latex seals.

"Depends on the garage"...
In my dads garage I definetly wouldnt as its full of motorcycles and the various tools and chemicals involved in restoring and making them look pretty.
Not to mention it would probably end up under a pile of bike parts and/or tools as well :p

mine is in the garage....but then my garage is more of a storage area than it is a real garage...plus it is insulated and drywalled....just not heated...so it depends on your garage and what's in there.

if all you own will fit in the space cleared out by your wife in a storage closets, I'd say you will be fine. Mine was a little upset when she discovered the storage bottles, cascade and gas blending system in the garage, but she got over it. As others have said, it is not the garage itself that is the issue, but what else is in the garage. Since my garage, or as my girls call it, man cave, is finished and I do not store chemicals, solvents, the car, etc. in there. All is good.

Jeff

if all you own will fit in the space cleared out by your wife in a storage closets, I'd say you will be fine. Mine was a little upset when she discovered the storage bottles, cascade and gas blending system in the garage, but she got over it. As others have said, it is not the garage itself that is the issue, but what else is in the garage. Since my garage, or as my girls call it, man cave, is finished and I do not store chemicals, solvents, the car, etc. in there. All is good.

Jeff

Smart man

Garages in TX are hot. OK for tanks and weights (and lawn mowers and cars). The rest of my scuba gear enjoys the comfort of heating and AC. The garage would probably be OK for the washer & dryer. That space might fit a small scuba gear cabinet.

There is my understanding:

Combustion generates a cocktail of vaporous products that chemically attacks many of the resilient materials used on diving gear. Vehicles not only produce combustion byproducts that linger in your garage, but also off-gas fumes from fuel and lubricants. To make matters worse, the DC electric motors produce ozone which also attacks these materials.

Latex used on drysuit wrist and neck seals are especially sensitive. Silicon is probably the least effected. Other sources of harmful vapors common in garages include:
  • Stored chemicals like paint thinner, acetone, and some household cleaners
  • Oil, natural gas, and propane fired water heaters, dryers, boilers, and furnaces
  • Brush style electric motors (ozone)
Heat can also degrade these materials in hot climates. How long to cause damage that you can detect is huge variable. Store cylinders and weight belts in the garage and try to locate all products with resilient material elsewhere.

It depends on your garage as Latex (drysuit seals, wetsuit seams) for example does not mix well with other solvents. If your garage is rather 'normal' you should be fine. If you work with wood (solvents) or are a gear head (gas, grease, oil) you may want to store the wetsuits/drysuits/BC's elsewhere. However most can still be stored in the garage if you do so in a large Rubbermaid container as they are not airtight, but likely seal well enough to provide protection. You could also buy a small storage locker. The more expensive the more better. If you garage is toxic, your best off with an airtight storage solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom