Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The survival rate for people under 70 who contract Covid is 99.98%. Staying locked in your home for months on end and destroying economies, possibly forever is not the answer. If you are still that scared and or high risk, stay home. May sound harsh but so is imposing restriction after restriction.
The problem is that it can also be deadly to those at much younger ages that have no apparent pre-existing health issues - why this happens is not yet understood. I know of at least 3 folks under 50 who died and were in good shape with no known health issues. I also know of a few others who are still experiencing fatigue and coughing/lung issues (long haulers as they say) many months after “recovering”.

I don’t want to spin the wheel on the genetic lottery to see where I’d fall in terms of COVID impact - so I’m staying put until I’m vaccinated next month. After that, I’ll consider it.

The problem is that it can also be deadly to those at much younger ages that have no apparent pre-existing health issues - why this happens is not yet understood. I know of at least 3 folks under 50 who died and were in good shape with no known health issues. I also know of a few others who are still experiencing fatigue and coughing/lung issues (long haulers as they say) many months after “recovering”.

I don’t want to spin the wheel on the genetic lottery to see where I’d fall in terms of COVID impact - so I’m staying put until I’m vaccinated next month. After that, I’ll consider it.
That’s fair enough and I am not in any way advocating for irresponsible or reckless travel. Cautious and intelligent travel and freedom of choice is the answer.

So what’s your answer, just sit home and rot? I personally know some people who are not at risk or I should say, not at high risk. They don’t go out, they don’t socialize, they don’t go out to eat and guess what.... they are depressed. It’s not normal to be anti social and not travel when you have been social your whole life. I could say those that impose your way of thinking are selfish. It’s also not to bring politics into this conversation when time and time again, we see the very same people of power who impose severe restrictions, break their own rules.
@Grateful head It does seem like you are basing your statements on the risk of death to the person who must choose between "staying at home and rotting" or going out and living their life fully. This is, or course, a false dichotomy; it does not have to be at either extreme.
But the issue is that others can catch it from you, even if you are asymptomatic....so you really can't ignore your responsibility there. Or, maybe you can. I can't. Also, many folks who do NOT die also have severe lung or organ problems.....not good. My point is the risk is the sum of three things: your own death, infecting others, and harming your body severely, like lungs and not being able to dive again. You may wish to dismiss the first factor -- that's a personal choice -- but dismissing the second factor is socially irresponsible and dismissing the third factor is just dumb. Much too risky.This is the thinking that caused me to answer No to the OP's question.

We did Mexico twice and Florida once since last August...did we cheat death again? Possibly, but we followed CDC recommendations and realized three great trips with minimum contact since most places were at 50% or less occupancy. I also did a few motorcycle trips last spring which was eerie as roads were dead of traffic.

@Grateful head It does seem like you are basing your statements on the risk of death to the person who must choose between "staying at home and rotting" or going out and living their life fully. This is, or course, a false dichotomy; it does not have to be at either extreme.
But the issue is that others can catch it from you, even if you are asymptomatic....so you really can't ignore your responsibility there. Or, maybe you can. I can't. Also, many folks who do NOT die also have severe lung or organ problems.....not good. My point is the risk is the sum of three things: your own death, infecting others, and harming your body severely, like lungs and not being able to dive again. You may wish to dismiss the first factor -- that's a personal choice -- but dismissing the second factor is socially irresponsible and dismissing the third factor is just dumb. Much too risky.This is the thinking that caused me to answer No to the OP's question.
Sounds like your stating the risk as FACT that you will infect others and permanently harm your lungs. Not trying to argue with you or anyone else here, just stating my opinion. Nobody has addressed the economic and social damage the restrictions are, have caused.

How many times have we all said, "Man, I wish there weren't so many people on this charter, or I wish there were more room on this boat?"

You can experience that right now but you have to take precautions. You take precautions for yourself and for other guests and crew. It's not too hard.

It's really nothing more than "Safe Sex" in the 80's. Same idea, different precautions.

Maybe a little more, but you get the idea...

Really good interesting thread. Seems the views on travel here are far more cautious than I expected them to be from this board, which is full of people who are travelers and risk takers by definition. That certainly says something about the seriousness of the situation we're in. I think the responses here are about right. It's just not a safe time to travel yet. MAYBE you can pull it off if you're able to accept risk (both health and screwed up travel plans) AND you can go above and beyond with PPE use. But it's still morally questionable.

It sucks that winter in the northern hemisphere is making both indoor and outdoor recreation difficult. But it's just not a safe time to travel yet.

There have been so many threads and deleted posts about covid and travel that I thought I would start a thread devoted to safe(er) travel. And yes, I have a Florida trip and 2 Liveaboards planned so far for this year.

With respect to keeping Covid-19 under control, elective/recreational travel is irresponsible. Period. No matter what precautions are taken.

But we (individuals, governments, corporations) are flawed and we do irresponsible and selfish stuff. With proper COVID protocols or otherwise.

If we as individuals choose elective travel right now, we should be honest with ourselves and accept the fact that we are being irresponsible. No masks, wipes, distancing, quarantining, economic support of local economy, etc. can justify it.

Yes, i've been irresponsible once. I took all those precautions and followed all recommendations and guidance... but in the end, I didn't really HAVE to do it. I chose to do it.

It's really nothing more than "Safe Sex" in the 80's. Same idea, different precautions.

Maybe a little more, but you get the idea...

So what you are saying is that every single human contact in the 80's was a sexual incident?

Yeah, I'd say its a little more.

With respect to keeping Covid-19 under control, elective/recreational travel is irresponsible. Period. No matter what precautions are taken.

But we (individuals, governments, corporations) are flawed and we do irresponsible and selfish stuff. With proper COVID protocols or otherwise.

If we as individuals choose elective travel right now, we should be honest with ourselves and accept the fact that we are being irresponsible. No masks, wipes, distancing, quarantining, economic support of local economy, etc. can justify it.

Yes, i've been irresponsible once. I took all those precautions and followed all recommendations and guidance... but in the end, I didn't really HAVE to do it. I chose to do it.
Under the right conditions to the individual, it’s certainly safe to travel to certain locals. Hundreds have done it safely. You don’t have to though....who does your grocery shopping? Fills your car up? Goest to the ATM. Touches money, mail......ok, I’ll stop now :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom