Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What so funny? He said:

So he kept his words that he can touch himself. Although he said he did it without touching.
I guess I was too cryptic; it would seem difficult to use the lavatory without at least touching the door handle.

No hands, baby!!!

What so funny? He said:

So he kept his words that he can touch himself. Although he said he did it without touching.

I guess I was too cryptic; it would seem difficult to use the lavatory without at least touching the door handle.

I’m still in Belize, flying here from Houston last week with United. When we boarded the plane, the flight attendant gave us wet napkins. We use them right away and stopped worrying about not touching anything.

All the restaurants we dine in are open air seating with good sea breeze. Also, as we enter the restaurant, there are hands sanitizer to clean our hands before touching their stuff.

A lot of people here are into shaming anyone who travels as a irresponsible murderer but its worth noting according to the CDC 11% of the US population is seriously considering suicide. Staying alive is a balancing act for many people. Data from June 2020 CDC survey; the 2019 rate was 5%.

One the plus side I personally know ~100 National Guard who have made a full recovery from COVID with no lasting effects. Admittedly, they are probably younger than the average Scubaboard member but they at least range 20s, 30s, 40s. The only person I know who died had their heart surgery cancelled when the COVID scare started a year ago and had a heart attack.

2020 has made the toy hauler RV one the smartest purchases I've ever made.

Sam

A lot of people here are into shaming anyone who travels as a irresponsible murderer but its worth noting according to the CDC 11% of the US population is seriously considering suicide. Staying alive is a balancing act for many people. Data from June 2020 CDC survey; the 2019 rate was 5%.

One the plus side I personally know ~100 National Guard who have made a full recovery from COVID with no lasting effects. Admittedly, they are probably younger than the average Scubaboard member but they at least range 20s, 30s, 40s. The only person I know who died had their heart surgery cancelled when the COVID scare started a year ago and had a heart attack.

2020 has made the toy hauler RV one the smartest purchases I've ever made.

Sam

Numbers are off by factors of 10.

From the CDC:

“An estimated 2.7 million people (1.1% ) made a plan about how they would attempt suicide in the past year.”

Regardless, your post comparing travel for diving during a pandemic and suicide is a silly strawman argument.

Pee valve?

nope. i like to put my hands behind my head when standing at the urinal. really freaks out the guy next to me. well, that and telling him i like his watch. think about it....

From the AMA Morning Rounds e-mail today:

"CDC says people fully vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2 do not have to quarantine after possible exposure to the virus if they meet certain criteria
Reuters (2/11, Raman) reports the CDC said people who have been fully vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2 do not need to quarantine after potential exposure to the virus if they meet certain criteria. The agency’s criteria include full vaccination, exposure within three months of receiving last dose, and remaining asymptomatic after exposure."

But a CNN article accessed via Apple News + said "The criteria: They must be fully vaccinated -- having had both shots with at least two weeks having passed since the second shot. That's because it takes two weeks to build full immunity after the second dose of vaccine."

So, if you've had both doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, and it's not been at least 2 weeks but not over 3 months since you got the 2nd dose, you don't have to quarantine after exposure to someone with it if you remain asymptomatic. Effectively a 2 1/2 month window. And they still want people to do the basic precautions...wear a mask and socially distance.

In a Doctor's Digest e-mail today, citing a 'Science Alert' from Feb. 9, it says the UK variant in the U.S. is doubling every 10 days.

I also see a push for double masking or improving the facial seal of your mask. I don't double-mask, and judging from the way my glasses fog up when I wear it (plus I have a beard)...

On a positive note, maybe we can use the pandemic to make a stronger case for solo shore diving at more places, to reduce exposure to other people. Are you listening out there, Grand Cayman...?

From the AMA Morning Rounds e-mail today:

I also see a push for double masking or improving the facial seal of your mask. I don't double-mask, and judging from the way my glasses fog up when I wear it (plus I have a beard)...

From: States ranked by COVID-19 test positivity rates: Feb. 11

Congratulations, you're in the top 10! (#7)

This is a 7-day moving average of the positive test rate for Covid-19

Kentucky: 18.3
New daily cases: 2,581
Tests per 100,000: 289.8

-------------edit----------
If your glasses are fogging, then the seal at the top of the mask is not working. You either aren't using a N95, or a poorly fitted N95. I would expect much more from a medical professional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom