Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surprised KY isn't doing better; the Governor has long taken COVID-19 seriously and aggressively tried to curb the spread, often doing well compared to some neighboring states. I didn't vote for him, but have come to grudgingly admire his efforts.

I use a regular 'surgical' mask. Recently blessed with retirement, so former practitioner. I worked in mental health, inpatient, and for months we used in-house Telehealth for patient interviews and even staff meetings. That facility did a good job at risk mitigation.

Got both doses of the Moderna vaccine before I left, try to socially distance and don't get out a lot.

Numbers are off by factors of 10.

From the CDC:

“An estimated 2.7 million people (1.1% ) made a plan about how they would attempt suicide in the past year.”

Regardless, your post comparing travel for diving during a pandemic and suicide is a silly strawman argument.

You are incorrectly paraphrasing my words to suit your needs, I did not say 10% have a plan, I stated 10% serious considering suicide, double the 2019 rate. See attached image from CDC website.

Don't think COVID shaming is an issue? See below for words from my work's staff psychologist:

mm6932a1_MentalHealthCOVID19_IMAGE_14Aug20_1200x675-medium.jpg

People have made a lot of difficult choices for themselves and their families during this pandemic. Along with those choices have come feelings of guilt, uncertainty, grief, sadness and shame.

One concern that emerged is the act of COVID Shaming.

COVID Shaming is the act of ostracizing or shaming others for contracting the virus or putting themselves in higher risk situations for contracting the virus.

Shaming is different than asking someone to take ownership of a problem.

Shaming is not an effective way to influence or alter behaviors.

Per Huffington Post “Covid-19 Stigma is Becoming the Norm – And it’s extremely Dangerous”

“And even though shaming might at times feel like a productive way to alter someone’s behavior, it’s actually not. In fact, shaming usually backfires and makes people who feel the brunt of the blame less likely to engage with public health efforts like testing and contact tracing. In other words: It can lead to dangerous consequences.”

Nobody wants to get COVID or have their families get COVID. So why are people shaming people if they get it?

A few reasons are fear, FOMO and “Just World Belief”.

The FEAR part takes on many forms; fear you could get COVID, fear that your crew could get COVID, fear you will have to reschedule the entire crew until testing is complete, and sacrificing important plans.

FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) – Maybe you have sacrificed seeing family, taking trips, seeing friends or other social events so when you hear about other people engaging in some of these activities and getting exposed it can increase anger and a sense of missing out on life.

You are incorrectly paraphrasing my words to suit your needs, I did not say 10% have a plan, I stated 10% serious considering suicide, double the 2019 rate. See attached image from CDC website.

Don't think COVID shaming is an issue? See below for words from my work's staff psychologist:

View attachment 641566

People have made a lot of difficult choices for themselves and their families during this pandemic. Along with those choices have come feelings of guilt, uncertainty, grief, sadness and shame.

One concern that emerged is the act of COVID Shaming.

COVID Shaming is the act of ostracizing or shaming others for contracting the virus or putting themselves in higher risk situations for contracting the virus.

Shaming is different than asking someone to take ownership of a problem.

Shaming is not an effective way to influence or alter behaviors.

Per Huffington Post “Covid-19 Stigma is Becoming the Norm – And it’s extremely Dangerous”

“And even though shaming might at times feel like a productive way to alter someone’s behavior, it’s actually not. In fact, shaming usually backfires and makes people who feel the brunt of the blame less likely to engage with public health efforts like testing and contact tracing. In other words: It can lead to dangerous consequences.”

Nobody wants to get COVID or have their families get COVID. So why are people shaming people if they get it?

A few reasons are fear, FOMO and “Just World Belief”.

The FEAR part takes on many forms; fear you could get COVID, fear that your crew could get COVID, fear you will have to reschedule the entire crew until testing is complete, and sacrificing important plans.

FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) – Maybe you have sacrificed seeing family, taking trips, seeing friends or other social events so when you hear about other people engaging in some of these activities and getting exposed it can increase anger and a sense of missing out on life.

I have no “needs” in this matter. You don’t understand statistics. You said 11% of ALL adults. The CDC said 11% of 40% of adults. Do you not see a difference? This is a spurious strawman argument. Somehow you’re trying to infer a correlation between suicide and people not traveling to Mexico. :eek:

-------------edit----------
If your glasses are fogging, then the seal at the top of the mask is not working. You either aren't using a N95, or a poorly fitted N95. I would expect much more from a medical professional.
Not that he needs to explain but I will give one as a medical professional. I have not been fit tested for a mask in too many years. When this pandemic started we had a partial box of N95’s I found in the back of a cabinet. I rotated the same 3 N95’s from March to August. That box plus some donated by the community was all the N95’s we had for too many months. Finally the local Health Department and other agencies started sending us some of the emergency supply, Chinese knock off masks. Most of them size large.

There was a point in all this where I was just happy to have a mask. A mask that fit was a dream. Finally, in January of 2021 the office got in a box of small N95’s, about the same time I got vaccinated.

This irresponsible idiot (me) & all 8 other buddies in my group just got another negative COVID-19 test an hour ago in Ramon’s Village Resort, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize at no charge (i.e., FREE of charge) before going home on Saturday. We are all COVID-19 FREE at this moment! We’ll try hard to keep it that way, like what I have been doing for the last 11 months (i.e.,social distancing, wear N95 mask whenever social distancing is not possible & wash hands before touching someone else properties). It ain’t that hard folks. You just have the right attitude & discipline.

Not that he needs to explain but I will give one as a medical professional. I have not been fit tested for a mask in too many years. When this pandemic started we had a partial box of N95’s I found in the back of a cabinet. I rotated the same 3 N95’s from March to August. That box plus some donated by the community was all the N95’s we had for too many months. Finally the local Health Department and other agencies started sending us some of the emergency supply, Chinese knock off masks. Most of them size large.

There was a point in all this where I was just happy to have a mask. A mask that fit was a dream. Finally, in January of 2021 the office got in a box of small N95’s, about the same time I got vaccinated.
I should add that double masking makes the N95 much much more comfortable. Cut the elastic straps off the N95 and use a cloth mask to hold it in place (you still need to crimp the nose).

And the point of my previous post is that current (and retired) medical professionals have a moral obligation to set an example in best practice based on the current scientific evidence.. In fact the Oregon Medical Board suspended a physician who operated his private clinic while ignoring the state mask and social distance mandate.

Don't get me started on the previous lack of PPE with the (then) President insisting that there was no shortage

How about this? When I travel, I assume responsibility for myself. When I travel, I am among other people who have also taken on that responsibility for their own risk.

The description of your own precautions is admirable.

The logical fallacy is that you're projecting that other people are making the same decisions that you would make for yourself. Just because other people are participating in the same activity does not mean that their level of care is the same as yours.

When you drive home from your vacation, you make some choices about assuming the risk of being on the road -- you're probably wearing your seatbelt, probably not texting while driving, probably keep your car well maintained, etc. That's great, but the person driving in the next lane has also taken on their own chosen level of responsibility, and she's driving a car with one bald tire, wiper blades that need replacing, and she's texting her friend about the great bridal shower she just attended and how good it was to go out drinking with friends after being quarantined.

The person sitting next to you on the boat may be one of twenty people sharing a condo and partying maskless all night long, and is now ready to infect anyone nearby.

Yes, in fact I’m buying a plane next week that will take me and my diving friends to any island I want. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom