Is leisurepro.com the best place to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've worked in a shop and know how much (little) scuba stuff really costs. I buy at my LDS if they come close enough to LP just for a little extra piece of mind, otherwise, economics rule.

I am a new diver and am about to buy equipment, so I have been thinking about the online vs. local shop question. I am pretty sure that many manufacturers such as aqualung, scubapro, seaquest and dive rite only allow their products to be sold for 10% less than the retail price. That is why the dive stores sell it for that price. As has been stated, if the dive store sells for less from companies such as these, they will not be able to give the manufacturer's warranty, they will have to give their own warranty. It seems the purpose of this policy, as has been stated, is to keep local shops, communities, etc. working for the local divers. It seems like a good idea to ensure that people get proper training, equipment, establish relationships, etc.

It's not really the dive store's fault that major manufacturer's require this policy. I guess some of us will always buy from the Walmarts and Microsofts of the world and some will go to the local farmers' markets and Linux groups. If your dive store owner/staff are jerks it would be another question as well I guess. Maybe I'm giving too much leeway to the dive shops, but it just feels like the right thing to do.

I don't know this to be true.

Zeagle has a "minimum advertised price", which is the lowest price an AUTHORIZED dealer can sell a product for online or advertise in a magazine.

We do not, however, have a minimum price that a shop can SELL a product for.
They set their own prices and can discount as little or as much as they would like.

Scott

I refuse to limit my diving enjoyment/equipment list to support LDS. There are plenty of LDS that now offer online sales as well as excellent service such as San Diego's Scuba Destination (www.scubadestination.com). These guys offer the best of both worlds: a local shop run by divers with internet pricing. If your local shop hasn't jumped in the game, it's their fault. Everything must evolve: equipment, policies,... suppliers.

Note: Buyer beware! Steer clear of e-shops on such sites as Ebay, these most certainly do not offer service/warranties.

Divemaster-K:
I refuse to limit my diving enjoyment/equipment list to support LDS. There are plenty of LDS that now offer online sales as well as excellent service such as San Diego's Scuba Destination (www.scubadestination.com). These guys offer the best of both worlds: a local shop run by divers with internet pricing. If your local shop hasn't jumped in the game, it's their fault. Everything must evolve: equipment, policies,... suppliers.

Where do you get your airfills, inspections, etc.? If you get them at a local dive shop that you do not buy from then it seems there is a bit of a contradiction there. Maybe you disagree?

Do you think that the local dive shops are raking in mounds of cash? I can't believe that they are. It seems it would be tough to keep a store going given the limited amount of product you can stock, limited diving season(at least here in Michigan), etc. If people are trying to provide a local service then it seems you should support them. I hardly think your diving enjoyment would be limited. I live near at least 3 or 4 dive stores here in michigan. maybe if you live in kansas you couldn't find a local place that has what you want but you probably don't dive much if you live there anyway. I don't mean to offend anyone in kansas, i just don't think of it as a diving mecca.

I just recently bought an OMS nitrox analyzer from LP (100 cheaper than anywhere else) and the O2 sensor is shot, I brought it back to them and the situation is still in process. They mentioned that they have to send the analyzer back to OMS for repair.
By the way I am close enough to NYC to shop at their store. I'll let you know how it turns out.
BTW I've also used Scubatoys and have nothing but kudos for their operation...

aaronlinder:
I am a new diver and am about to buy equipment, so I have been thinking about the online vs. local shop question. I am pretty sure that many manufacturers such as aqualung, scubapro, seaquest and dive rite only allow their products to be sold for 10% less than the retail price. That is why the dive stores sell it for that price. As has been stated, if the dive store sells for less from companies such as these, they will not be able to give the manufacturer's warranty, they will have to give their own warranty. It seems the purpose of this policy, as has been stated, is to keep local shops, communities, etc. working for the local divers. It seems like a good idea to ensure that people get proper training, equipment, establish relationships, etc.

It's not really the dive store's fault that major manufacturer's require this policy. I guess some of us will always buy from the Walmarts and Microsofts of the world and some will go to the local farmers' markets and Linux groups. If your dive store owner/staff are jerks it would be another question as well I guess. Maybe I'm giving too much leeway to the dive shops, but it just feels like the right thing to do.
After readin this very carefully, and twice, and being on the inside myself, I would have to agree with Scott. You are a little off on this one. I don't know who told you this information, but they mislead you. So I think that it is a little unfair that you in turn mislead others.
rje634:
I just recently bought an OMS nitrox analyzer from LP (100 cheaper than anywhere else) and the O2 sensor is shot, I brought it back to them and the situation is still in process. They mentioned that they have to send the analyzer back to OMS for repair.
By the way I am close enough to NYC to shop at their store. I'll let you know how it turns out.
BTW I've also used Scubatoys and have nothing but kudos for their operation...
Can I tell you what happened when this same thing happened at my LDS. They took the analyzer from the guy, gave him a new one off the shelf because they were confident in their standing with OMS, and said that the other one would be returned and appologized for any trouble. Hmmm.... I guess this is a classic example. As for Scubatoys, Larry is still a good old fashion store, he just has a good website. I think that the only reason that Scubatoys has a real store is to keep it legal. Hey now there's a theory.

My LDS will not budge from selling at MSRP. Yet the owners drive around in brand new H2's. Now try and tell me these LDS owners are not making money.

I try and support them as much as I can afford, accessories, service, air fills, etc..., but I am not going to pay 20 to 30% above "street pricing" on major purchases, so I can watch them cruise around in vehicles that cost more than half of what I paid for my house.

Sean326:
LP is a LDS in Manhattan, I've been in their store... it's really a nice walk in retail store... They just do most of their business over the internet. :banghead:

I have bought about $3,000 worth of gear for my wife and I at LP and never had a problem and also saved upwards of $1,000 not going to a LDS. I give the LDS my business for tank rentals, diving trips, rig service and last minute general accessories. The LDS also gets my money on continuing education. If you have noticed that on there website they have a BBB logo which means they are a Better Business Bureu member so if you have any problems with them just report them to BBB.

Question is this: I have heard that on at least some brands LP is not an authorized dealer, the manufacturer's warranty isn't included, their own warranty is worthless when it comes to getting stuff serviced locally, the merchandise is gray market at best or outright subpar forgeries at worst, etc. Assuming it's all true (is it?) what does that actually mean for me as an owner of this gear who has to get it serviced? I wonder if it's really enough to make me leery of going to them for, say, a reg. This is a stupid question, the "no stupid wuestions" axiom notwithstanding. :)

cheers

Billy S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom