Is the air 2 a good octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After BOW, when I purchased equipment, a necklace was a piece of jewlery and generally not worn while diving. After watching octos flopping around everywhere (training gear didn't even have holders) it seemed to me that an Air2 made good sense. But if I were starting over, I would probably go with a conventional octo on a necklace. One clear exception would be if you are going to hard mount a pony, in which case I would prefer an Air2 and the pony reg on a necklace. Another is if you are a solo diver where the seperate octo is just extra gear.

But an Air2 is a reliable, effective option which I probably will stick with. The only time I had problems with mine was following LDS service. Now that I do my own, I've had no problems. I don't use mine on every dive, other than pre-dive checks, but I do practice with it fairly often. Head movement is a bit restricted and dumping air takes a bit more effort. Neither are major problems.

I agree and Air 2 is ideal for a pony bottle equipped diver, solo or not, as it allows an extra second stage on the primary tank without an additional hose and while avoiding confusion with the pony second stage. The availablity of another conventional second stage also provides another means to remove any concerns about having to breathe and and dump with an Air 2 during an OOA acent. I still use the Air 2 on my independent doubles for the same reasons that I used it with a pony.

The Air 2 does not really make sense on a set of manifolded doubles a there is no need for an extra second stage on either first stage as they all ready allow redundant access to the primary air supply. When used with that configuration it is just an extra piece of gear that serves only as an inflator and consequently would be better off being replaced by a mechanically simpler dedicated inflator.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled... The reason an Air 2 is not used as a primary by anyone is intutitively obvious and the Air 2 was never designed to be a prinmary reg, both simply have their own more specialized applications. So your comparison is flawed.
Perhaps. I can't think of a good reason to rely on a regulator that isn't designed to perform as well as a primary. My setup does everything I like about the AIR2 and does it better.

The rest of your message defined "flawed logic" better than I ever could. The leap to "everyone is using it" is beyond the pale.

I'd sweat the English more than the Latin.

Mike,

Thanks for your reply. First off: my bad regarding the divemaster. I am spoiled by warm-water diving and was not considering suit expansion. Second, you have convinced me to stop arguing for an AIR-2 in any general sense. I still believe that it is safe for a properly trained diver to use one. As you pointed out, however, most divers do not make an adequate effort to learn their gear. I have no interest in misleading anyone into using equipment that might get her in trouble.

I'd love to dive with you some day.

-Klaus

By the way, you might want to add my "limited-movement" argument to your anti AIR-2 arsenal. In my setup, I would have to cut the bungee that secures the AIR-2 to my harness in order to turn my head comfortably.

I made a water manometer (see attached photo) and spent the afternoon measuring the peak inhalation effort of my regulators (I have a bunch). My Sherwood shadow measured a 3" water column inhalation effort. My US Divers Conshelf 21 measured 1 1/2". My Poseidon Odin, Scubapro D-400 and Tekna adjustable were among my best and measured 1/2" to 3/4" water column inhalation effort. ***** My easiest inhalaing regulator, measuring a firm 1/2" water column, was my Scubapro Air2!! *****

I had compared the Air2 to my D-400 while at 140-feet and was surprised to find that the Air2 breathed almost as well. Since then I had completely diasassembled, cleaned, lubricated, and adjusted the Air2. I evidently did a good job.

What the heck is your problem??

I wouldn't dive with one of those things and my posts are VERY clear about that. I don't need to put a gun to my head and pull the trigger to know if the thing has a potential for danger.

The size of the hose or quick disconnect fits the same problem. The person asked: "The LDS told me that it would not be a problem to hook up a rental reg on site to the AIR2. Has something changed?"

The problem is still the same. Most QD are attached to hoses, yes?? My information comes from previous posts from people who own these things. And the hose size had nothing to do with amount of air delivered. It had to do with compatiblity with the rental unit. You made too many assumptions to make your point.

As for being a mechanic, I can service anything I own, and do, often. But that's not who were talking about here, is it? The average diver, and my guess the majority, will never touch their equipment. Most will not even remove a hose for fear of causing a problem. And I don't have a problem with that. What you and I find useful is irrelevant.

When you get done with your rant, read the original question that I answered again. Then read what others have posted. Including YOU- "It does require switching the hose though...."

Then tell me where I am wrong.

coberry7 once bubbled...
Hey DetroitDiver,

Can't help but notice how vocal you are about the Air2. No issues there, we all have our opinions.

By default, in your last posts, you portray yourself as an experienced diver. By what you say, you are at least a diver who could, if so desired be an instructor candidate, if qualified. (Can't read your profile from here).

How do you believe that an Air2 needs a different size hose? You said you believe it. From what information do you believe this information to be true???

I am truly sorry to hear that an experienced diver such as yourself (an opinion of mine based on your posts, feel free to correct me...) feels it unnecessary to be a 'SCUBA Mechanic'. I find it useful to be able to do all sorts of slight mechanical jobs on a boat from changing batteries to replacing fin straps to sealing a mask that leaks.

I also believe that someone who is currently renting gear, need not be worried about being a mechanic with SCUBA gear. Once that person purchases their own gear, there will be no need to worry about hose size, will there? Unless they decide to purchase a piece of equipment that might need a different size hose.

To put an end to this, I believe your last post to be nothing more than an inflammatory way to notify the less knowledgeable of your way of thinking.

When you can tell me why you BELIEVED an AIR2 needs a different size hose at the time of your posting your last message, I'll take what you say a lot more seriously and professionally, until then, I think you are full of hot air.

BTW, I have no idea if an Air2 needs a different size hose, and I own one. No need for me to know. Works just fine at any depth I've been to.

Colin Berry

FYI ...

The Air2 "hose" is the same size as the normal 2nd stage hose (and same as the normal inflator hose) ScubaPro EN-250.

The Air2 QD connector is a LARGER fitting than a standard inflator though. ... so whoever said your regulator set up for an Air2 will not attach to a normal inflator (rental?) was correct.

Other than that ... I don't feel it's any more "dangerous" than any other piece of equipment .. but it IS NON-STANDARD if your dive buddies aren't familiar with it !

(By the way... the water here today was 85 degrees with about 60 feet visibility ... any thought's I might have had about moving back to the mainland just went out the window :) )

Detroit Diver,

*S* You're still rather inflammatory. Your posts are still hypothetical. You do not own an Air2, nor have you ever dove one. (By your own admission) You are not qualified to comment on it until you have actually put your hands on one and perhaps dove it. Until you do, refer to my previous post.....The part about 'hot air'.

What the heck is your problem??

Is that multiple choice or essay? Either way, when you have the credentials on this subject and can present them in a professional manner, I'll take you seriously. Until then...well, you are rather entertaining.

Colin Berry

Okay Colin. I guess you win. I won't be diving one of those things and therefor have no clue as to what they are about. Feel better? Funny though that you completely validated my postion with your previous comment. Oh well.

Oh yeah, one more thing. It was a rhetorical question. Everyone already knew the answer.

coberry7 once bubbled...
Detroit Diver,

*S* You're still rather inflammatory. Your posts are still hypothetical. You do not own an Air2, nor have you ever dove one. (By your own admission) You are not qualified to comment on it until you have actually put your hands on one and perhaps dove it. Until you do, refer to my previous post.....The part about 'hot air'.

Is that multiple choice or essay? Either way, when you have the credentials on this subject and can present them in a professional manner, I'll take you seriously. Until then...well, you are rather entertaining.

Colin Berry

Back
Top Bottom