Is there a PADI Self-Reliant Diver Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, there is a course, a refined one from PADI as well as one from SDI! But I sure don't see any offered in Victoria. The course is still pretty new, so you may have to go into shops and ask. You will need to have 100 logged dives prior to enrolling.

Yes it does. As of right now it's a distinctive specialty. So, you have to find an instructor that has that rating. here are the requirements.

1. Be certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or have a
qualifying certification from another training organization.
2. Have a minimum 100 logged dives.
3. Be 18 years of age or older.
4. Successfully complete a dive skills assessment by a PADI Self-
Reliant Diver Specialty Instructor.

Also join Solo Divers group ! a lot of info there ! i have been solo diving for a while! it is different ball game,

PS
have you heard of this

Single Diver is a Victim Two a witness and three a help !!

I guess one day I'm going to regret not logging dives for the last 12 years... :)

Good thread. I had the same questions but for different reasons.

SDI has a solo course also, though likewise has a 100 dive minimum requirement to take it.

For now, aim to take & complete the Rescue diver course. That can go a long way to making you a safer diver. One less likely to need rescuing, which is a big benefit of the class (whereas the name sounds like you're training to be an on-demand volunteer scuba lifeguard, which is not necessarily the case, though I suppose you could...).

Richard.

Now this is something I was not aware of!

I will definitely get around to doing this, but as some of you suggested, I want to finish my rescue diving first

It's actually hard to find dive buddies, most divers here are tourists (Malta)

How do you find one? Hard to come by in my neck of the woods. Advice?

Yes it does. As of right now it's a distinctive specialty. So, you have to find an instructor that has that rating. here are the requirements.

1. Be certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or have a
qualifying certification from another training organization.
2. Have a minimum 100 logged dives.
3. Be 18 years of age or older.
4. Successfully complete a dive skills assessment by a PADI Self-
Reliant Diver Specialty Instructor.

IANTD also offers a self-sufficient diver course.

Dr Dive: Are you anywhere near Marianna? There's an instructor by the name of Rob Neto who offers a solo diver course.

Back
Top Bottom