Is there a PADI Self-Reliant Diver Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure about Malta/Australia, but back in the UK a tech-level qualification was often accepted in-lieu, or as equivalent to, a solo diving certification. I certainly had no problems solo diving from charter boats there, when presenting my TDI/TecRec quals and using indie or manifold doubles.

The solo courses available stem almost entirely from tech training anyway - as those courses (excepting 'team orientated' agencies like GUE and UTD) tend to focus heavily on self-sufficiency and the ability to resolve/survive situations without recourse to a buddy in the first instance.

That's the way I like to look at the PADI solo course as a intro to tech course.

Solo is a different animal all together - not for everyone. I can see the advantages of having that knowledge.

Like others have mentioned - Rescue is a good course to go through and you can build up on it.

Keep in mind that solo diving also requires certain gear configurations that you may not have (but would need to get). AT 0-24 dives your time would be better spent looking for a more experienced diver to dive with and mentor you then trying to find a solo instructor IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom