Is there a technique to banging on a tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...But as it turns out, I don't want anyone's attention, nor do I give anyone mine unless they are dying and come tackle me. My wife says I'm a lousy buddy. I wear the term proudly. If you dive with me, be prepared to dive alone. I can't wait until I'm fully deaf. I have missed a number of whale sharks and manta rays.

Finally, a perfect buddy for me. My wife agrees 100%.

Finally, a perfect buddy for me. My wife agrees 100%.
I'll dive with you anytime. Let me know when you're diving in Seattle, and I'll jump in here in Florida. We can have beers after.

I'll dive with you anytime. Let me know when you're diving in Seattle, and I'll jump in here in Florida. We can have beers after.
My perfect buddy. Seattle is way to cold, but next I jump in Indonesia, I know my buddy is nearby, at least for me.

I'm an older male, with a loss of hearing in the higher frequencies. I cannot hear my alarms on my dive computer, for example, and the way I know they are ringing is if everybody around is looking at me.

Forget the tank banging if you want my attention. Wave at me. Touch me.
Night dives are great; light signals work just fine.
Back when I could hear the tank banging, it was more irritating than useful.

So don't assume that your tank-banging technique is the problem; it may be the assumption that tank banging is good that is the problem.

I love tank banger threads....

Don’t we all?

Answer to the OP...yes...the proper way to bang on your tank is to keep your hands folded in front of you...and don’t bang on your tank.

Don’t we all?

Answer to the OP...yes...the proper way to bang on your tank is to keep your hands folded in front of you...and don’t bang on your tank.

Thank you! make that sticky post.

Sometimes I'm a mile south or north of a charter and I can hear the banging of their blessed tanks, makes me wonder if they are diving or recreating an underwater version of a drum circle.

Just adjust the tank high in the backplate. You will bang the tank every time you jump in, or look up.

Anything that doesn’t annoy the machine gunner too much. Or distract the driver.

But as it turns out, I don't want anyone's attention, nor do I give anyone mine unless they are dying and come tackle me. My wife says I'm a lousy buddy. I wear the term proudly. If you dive with me, be prepared to dive alone. I can't wait until I'm fully deaf. I have missed a number of whale sharks and manta rays.

On the last liveaboard I did with my wife, she pulled out the "You're an instructor!!" card at me when she was complaining that I'm a terrible buddy. Apparently not being within arms reach was bad. We were diving with a group, and I wasn't that far away, but for her it was too far.

Funny thing though, I've had so many other people (usually other diver's wives) tell me that I'm an awesome buddy. My wife is the only person to ever tell me I'm not a good buddy. After that trip I remembered why I strongly prefer solo diving.

Back
Top Bottom