Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyjim, does this statement, taken from one of the many Bonaire travel brochures, sum up the island for you and the picture you would like visitors to have?

"It is the warmth and friendliness of the people" that keeps visitors returning year after year.
Bonaire has the reputation of being laid back, slower paced and very tranquil. It is a safe, sleepy, slow paced island."
:laughing:

Yep. Pretty accurate description of our experiences, and that of our friends.
Maybe it's me, but do you notice the words "totally crime free" anywhere in that sentence? Now THAT would be false advertising, because no one has ever made such a claim.

Fair enough question, malene. The answer is, for every 10 posters like you and What me Worry, herman, that don't inform divers on issues there, there has to be 1 poster like me that will give a realitic view of Bonaire. An informed diver is a safe diver. If all divers know of Bonaire is what they read in the travel brochures, ads for car rentals and What me Worry herman has to say about Bonaire, they won't have balanced info before they head that way.

And now we descend to calling someone names because they offer you an alternative viewpoint?! You continually attack anyone who's opinion differs from yours, and claim THEY have an agenda.

Personally, just between you and me: what exactly is it that you have against Bonaire? I mean, truthfully. You, personally. You can be honest, we're all friends here. It can't really be the crime, because you are forced to overlook, denigrate and belittle not only the information offered by many people who have vastly more experience on this island, but you extend that attck to the people who offer that information themselves, while you continually reserve old stories, of which you have no personal knowledge. :confused: :shakehead: :idk:

Enlighten us. Please. I know I am not the only one curious about your real agenda here.

Pilot Fish..why don't you let us know what your REAL agenda is..

Do you think the petty incidences on Bonaire compare anything to the crime stats in your town of Charlotte? Take a look at the below.

Charlotte Crime Map - Showing Crime in Charlotte, NC - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here

Oh FYI..the latest population figures I have on Charlotte is 1834 (2006)..Bonaire has almost 8 X's that amount..Any "crime" on Bonaire is a mere drop in the bucket from what you have in your own home town. One would think Bonaire would be a virtual paradise for you, yet for some reason you continually knock it by your postings. So again I'll ask...
What's your REAL agenda?

WOW! and that info on crime was for just one day! NEVER, and I mean never, ever go to Charlotte! THAT is not petty crime we are talking about here! :shocked2:

I've been to Bonaire five times, with my sixth trip scheduled for the end of May. I have never had any problems in regard to theft. Yes, I'm sure it does happen... theft happens everywhere, but I do not leave anything of value in the rental truck and keep passports, cash, credit cards, etc... in the safe. I also make sure doors and windows are locked, same thing I do when I'm home.

BTW Vince, I wanted to stay at your place, but it was already booked :-( Maybe next time.

Thanks Martha..So very sorry we couldn't accommodate you (we love divers), but do enjoy your trip in May. You know where to reach us for your next vacation, and please remember to book early.

We're returning in about 4 weeks, and no matter how many times I visit, I ALWAYS look forward to returning and start the day number countdown weeks ahead!

No such place exists!
:caveman: :wink:

........|
........V
The World's Only Safe Place to Dive <- Clicko el Linko
Picture26-5.png

Picture5-2.png

Think about it. But then again, some folks just love to :nailbiter: Maybe try stamp collecting?

I know this is a shot in the dark, a real stretch, but maybe your opinion is motivated by business considerations?:eyebrow:

PF..Really NOT at All! We had over 85 percent occupancy last year and in the first 2 weeks of 2010 we're already got >45% occupancy for the new year. All our guests are completely enamored by their wonderful trips and none have ever had any type of crime problem. I'm just trying to give an accurate representation of Bonaire vs your twisted view which has no bearing to reality. You still never answered my question which I posed twice.

So now for the third time, what's your real agenda in continuously knocking such a beautiful island with some of the lowest crime rates and best scuba diving throughout the entire Caribbean?

Between you & me, I do suspect I've made more trips to Bonaire then you have probably had made anywhere in the world:D

Last edited:
Going to Bonaire and renting a truck to shore dive is like going to a sword fight and expecting not to get wounded.:wink:

Going to Bonaire and just boat diving is like taking a Ham Sandwich to a Buffet.

Considering all the down side to shore diving, car rental and all the exposure to theft and extra fees for damage to the rental vehicle, it seems like poor choice, when you can be safe and have fun on a boat dive, It's what I did.

I should have known that was coming. I like shore diving but here are a few reasons I don't think it's the end all:
It can be messy and get sand all over everything including places it shouldn't get.
The walks can be long and dangerous.
I would have lost an entire week waiting for the surf to die down enough to safely get into the water. (I really didn't, I went boat diving a had a ball)
You can easily damage gear or yourself with a rogue wave.
You can easily get bashed into a shallow coral head with a normal wave.
I like diving with local guides that can point out all the things I don't spot.
You have to worry about the stuff you left in the truck and the truck itself.
It can be exhausting.
It can ruin equipment quickly such as boots.
You can't get many places that boats can get.
And like I said, boat diving on Bonaire is just an incredible value.
I don't like ham sandwiches but I love buffets.

It is the warmth and friendliness of the people" that keeps visitors returning year after year.
Bonaire has the reputation of being laid back, slower paced and very tranquil. It is a safe, sleepy, slow paced island."

Yep. Pretty accurate description of our experiences, and that of our friends.
Maybe it's me, but do you notice the words "totally crime free" anywhere in that sentence? Now THAT would be false advertising, because no one has ever made such a claim.

That tells me what I need to know. :laughing:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom