Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First - I haven't been to Bonaire for about 5 years. However, I have been there 3 times before that. What I'm about to say is true and the Bonaire lovers can deny it or make excuses all they want.
On one trip about 8 or 9 years ago, petty theft from divers vehicles was so bad that the island could no longer ignore it. For several days while we were there, a local radio station was running ongoing talk shows discussing the situation and some of the laws along with police inaction that actually contributed to the problem. Maybe things have improved because of this effort to expose it. I'm sure the shops on the island wish it would all go away even if it only keeps a few divers away.
For a year or so there was a "pink bus" that went around the island and provided a level of security for divers that went to its sites. This was a good attempt to help divers avoid the petty theft but it was too expensive and too limiting. It didn't last long. If theft weren't an issue, this security bus would not have existed at all.
While there is petty theft in many areas of the diving world, I personally believe theft from personal vehicles is a substantial and real problem on Bonaire. The reason people post about it and complain about it is because it exist and its real. In most other dive locations, personal vehicles are just not an issue. In areas where theft is a potential problem, the resorts provide security to avoid getting a reputation like Bonaire. Look at all the forums and the only one where you'll find this discussion to this extent is Bonaire.
A good portion of the problem could be eliminated if the truck rental companies would just add a good secure enclosure on the backs of the trucks. Leaving NOTHING in the truck is just not feasable. Asking us to bring our own security measures is difficult under normal circumstances and impossible with current airline restrictions. Since this island exist entirely on tourism, they could also try security cameras at the dive locations and increase the permit fee by a few dollars to pay for it. Of course then the police would actually have to do something about the problem.
I personally like Bonaire a lot. It is one of the places I've visited more than one time. I avoid the problem by simply avoiding shore diving (crazy to most of you I'm sure). I dive at the resort or on a boat. Bonaire has the cheapest boat diving in the world because of the competion from shore diving.

Hey Vince , as usual I have to agree with you . However I think PF is just yanking your chain . There is no utopia where we can dive and leave our valuables unattended . You are right , he is probably travelling through his pc .
It is almost a year since my last trip , I am finally getting past my fear of another bout of dengue .
For me Bonaire is as close to what the closet travellers dream of that I am not even considering my other options .
It always comes back to throwing my gear in the truck and the diving freedom that goes with it .
You may wonder why I look so grubby when you see me on island , I always wear the clothes I wish to donate , I only wear worn out footwear as the iron shore would ruin any good foot wear the theives dont steal .
Vince , you may laugh at me , but after four weeks on island all they took was my outdated copy of Shore Diving made Easy .
Hey , I would like to see a little more security on the Island but it is what it is. Wherever you have tourism , you will have people relaxing and letting their guard down , opportunistic theives. It goes with the territory .
You may see me in the dry season when skeeters are low , water is warm , seas calm , viz decent and the Brights Ice Cold

Going to Bonaire and just boat diving is like taking a Ham Sandwich to a Buffet.

I should have known that was coming. I like shore diving but here are a few reasons I don't think it's the end all:
It can be messy and get sand all over everything including places it shouldn't get.
The walks can be long and dangerous.
I would have lost an entire week waiting for the surf to die down enough to safely get into the water. (I really didn't, I went boat diving a had a ball)
You can easily damage gear or yourself with a rogue wave.
You can easily get bashed into a shallow coral head with a normal wave.
I like diving with local guides that can point out all the things I don't spot.
You have to worry about the stuff you left in the truck and the truck itself.
It can be exhausting.
It can ruin equipment quickly such as boots.
You can't get many places that boats can get.
And like I said, boat diving on Bonaire is just an incredible value.
I don't like ham sandwiches but I love buffets.

You sir have a great sense of humour ! I agree with with most of the above , I just love doing my own thing on Bonaire without any limits of where , how I dive . I cannot argue with your points as I have had the wind knocked out of me by a rogue wave at White Slave . I am still taking sand out of my gear from last year , ruin a pair of boots every 40 dives on Bonaire , been so tired after two days of shore diving I forget to put a reg in my mouth , and you are right , boat dives are still reasonable .
The bottom line , I am a gluton for punishment , just love the freedom of driving down that south shore and pulling over and jumping in , and I too sir , love a good buffet !

I just do not get why I see more bashers about crime in Bonaire than anywhere else? Is it simply because of all the shore diving, there are more targets? I have only been there once (last year), and loved it so much I am going back this year again. Although I have to say I saw more broken glass at parking sites on the road to Hana in Maui than I saw at the shore dive sites in Bonaire. Is it simple as just not leaving anything of value in the truck. If it does not go diving with you, leave it in the condo.

I have to admit I feel better about a second or third floor apartment - simply because I can leave my gear on the patio to dry without inviting sticky fingers, but that is the same wherever I may travel.

Of all of the Carib Islands I have been to (ten), only on Tortola did I feel safer - and that is probably a toss up. My wife went running everyday by herself and never felt threatened (and she might be one to take extra measures, heck my neighbor goes jogging in our neighborhood with a gun).

Although I will have to add one thing to Herman's post about no problems ever - I did have a mesh bag I got free from my LDS when I bought some fins disappear - although it was during the middle of the day on the dock in front of our resort/condo. Considering it was worth maybe 5 bucks and there were always people around - I am guessing someone took it by mistake or it blew away. Considering no "locals" would be hanging out there among the dozens of divers, I am pretty sure it was not a criminal act.

I do find it interesting the people bringing up the crime usually either have never been there, or have been there once or twice. The people who have gone many times are the ones who say the crime is not that big of a deal. At least you do not hear of the rapes/druggings and armed robberies you see at other popular places.

Fair enough question, malene. The answer is, for every 10 posters like you and What me Worry, herman, that don't inform divers on issues there, there has to be 1 poster like me that will give a realitic view of Bonaire. An informed diver is a safe diver. If all divers know of Bonaire is what they read in the travel brochures, ads for car rentals and What me Worry herman has to say about Bonaire, they won't have balanced info before they head that way.

:rofl3: Now name calling? (Mods please don't delete the post-I find it funny)

Being the longest running member of SB and an admitted Bonaire lover, I have hundreds of post about Bonaire. Please go back through the years and find me one example of where I told someone crime does not happen. As a matter of fact, I frequently suggest ways to avoid problems. Since you have no personal experience and refuse the believe those of us who do, have you considered that "for every 10 posters like you and What me Worry, herman, that don't inform divers on issues" there really are 10 of us who have had no problems. Unhappy people post everwhere mulitple times, happy people don't. Every good business man knows 1 unhappy customer is worth 1000 happy ones. I made 2 trips to Bonaire last year, 3 of us on one trip and the other with 8. None of us posted trip reports. I guess we should go back and all do 5 or 6 trip reports on several different boards for the next 4 or 5 years just to make sure everyone knows we had a great time and experienced no crime.

Pilot Fish I have a straight forward question for you and please don't deflect it- answer it.
Between myself and those I have personally been on island with (in my groups) we have accrued over 480 person days on the island since 1999. And for the record, I do not make money on the trips I arrange. I do all the leg work and arrange the trip but it is soley for the enjoyment of myself and those traveling with me, I even split any comped spaces between all of the group so if I was having problems I would be hunting somewhere else to go. How is it then, with crime so rampant, we have experienced no issues at all? No trucks gone through, no gear stolen, nothing taken from our rooms (in 6 different resorts). If crime is so bad on the island how do you explain our good luck?

Six visits , no crime issues. Shore diving is my thing and Bonaire's one of the best places to do it. If boat diving is your thing, enjoy, you won't be disappointed. I would also add that there are plenty of dives around Bonaire you won't be able reach unless you are on a boat.

Hey Lloyd..I suspect you're right (about PF). Glad you're thinking of returning! I do believe you were extremely unlucky your last trip and wouldn't wish what you went through on my worst enemy.
I remember meeting you at oh about 07:30am when I was walking north towards EEG. Not exactly the best time conducive to an ongoing discussion! At any rate you're certainly welcome to come up to VINIBU for a couple of ice cold ones (not at 07:30; 18:00 is much more respectable ) when we're down. Looking forward to a return trip for 3 weeks in Feb/March & in the "dry season" for 2 weeks (end of July & first week in Aug). If you're around, come on up and say hello!

Anyone that tells you that you have nothing to worry about on Bonaire, in regards to theft, break-ins and petty crime in general, is simply not telling you the truth. The suggestion that if you get :hit: on Bonaire it was somehow YOUR fault, is hogwash. You need to know, Bonaire does not make public any list, record, or accounts of the crime on that island so the actual numbers are not really known. There is a high incidence of theft crime on that island, for its size and population. Also, be aware the "police", such as they are, will be useless, both in protecting you from crime and apprehending the criminals after you have been victim, IF YOU HAVE BEEN A VICTIM, which I'm sure you will not.

Assuming that what you wrote above is correct, specifically what I highlighted in RED, what is the basis (where are the numbers coming from) that you used to deduce the statistical probability of what you wrote in BLUE?

Having said all that, I think you will be fine at Buddys. Just do not rent a truck or car and do any shore dives. The accounts of break ins to rentals cars is staggering in volume.

Again, if what you reported to be true (in RED above) is true, where are you getting these accounts of break in to rental cars that are staggering in volume? This indicates again that you have access to info that is not Public?

Most importantly, do not listen to people that claim to be experts on Bonaire, that claiim to go there many times a year over many years because invaribly they are people that make money on Bonaire, own stuff on Bonaire, and they will be adversley affected if everyone knows the truth about Bonaire.

Again, what is your source for this? Is it one poster on here?

Yes, I am one who has been to Bonaire for a total of nine week in less that the past three years. And I'm currently planning another two week trip for March (the reason I am on this forum). In all that time, neither I or anyone in the groups I have traveled with have been subject to a theft or break in.

Though I do not claim to be an expert, I do have a bit of knowledge about Bonaire gained through the many trips I've made there. I personally have no money making source on Bonaire, I don't own stuff there, and I will not be adversley affected if anyone know the truth about Bonaire. I have no fiscal interest in Bonaire, although it's a great dive destination. To the contrary; if everyone believes the untruths/lies you purport as truth, without any objective evidence; and quits going to Bonaire, I'll have cheap lodging when I go, no waiting at restaurants, and solitude at the dive sites.

We have heard of some, but most are either inside jobs (at large resorts) or because divers refuse to follow the simple advise of leaving the windows down and nothing of value in the truck when diving. This is my educated (by talking to owners/manager of dive shops and resorts). YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom