Is there an App that will allow me to have divers sign a liability release?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and a relatively new instructor. I seasonally work at a boy scout camp on Catalina Island as a PADI Instructor. We work with minimal WIFI availability. Which means a ton of paperwork to handle on a daily basis. I'd like to cut down on the paperwork by incorporating a liability release into an app that does not require wifi to operate. That way customers could sign in through an Ipad and we'd be able to keep all of their releases electronically. Does anyone know of any programs or apps I could use to do this? Any input or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Best Fishes Merpeople
Corey

Unless this is a personal waiver in addition to the BSA waivers, I’d check with your local council first. I have been a part of some shooting range certifications and the local council can be very particular (and rightly so). If you want coverage from BSA’s insurance just make sure you get the green light from the local council.

I appreciate your time spent with our scouts.

Check digital signature requirements in the state as well...

If you had a phone or tablet with a note pen would it be possible to have the PADI release downloaded on your phone and have them sign that? If you’re able to do that contact PADI and check your state regs.

use the printed PADI forms. Until PADI rolls out paperless waivers you're putting yourself at risk doing something they don't support.

I am an SDI instructor. I just carry forms in my backpack when I am on an instruction trip. The advantage to "paper" is that those forms also go into their folder that we have for them.

I wouldn’t think waivers signed by minors would be binding. Waivers signed by their parents should be done prior to heading out to camp, right? Maybe I am misunderstanding the issue.

Bdiving in Curacao had use sign releases on Ipads and took a picture of our card. They said once we did this electronically it would be stored and would not have to be done again. They have a website if you want to contact them to see what they use.

Adobe has a bunch of apps designed to make "paperless" contracts and signatures easy. Most involve some cost, and apparently the real estate business and others that require a "signed" document, delivered NOW, have been the prime adopters of this, since it makes the lack of fax machines into a non-issue.

Electronic signatures and personal digital certificates have been legal since the Carter days, but slow to catch on and often painful (or expensive) to implement. Just having someone "sign" a tablet or cell phone with their finger...that's gonna be a court argument about whether it is or isn't really someone's signature, or someone else's scribble.

Since this is a question of liability, and someone (liability insurer, court, whoever) is going to be the one accepting or rejecting it, I think I'd ask around to find out what "electronic signature" will be ACCEPTED if you need to bring up a file and say "See, they signed it".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom