Isolator knob position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmm...interesting. I'm still not tightening my nuts though.

(that one begs for a rejoinder) ... :rofl3:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok. So I guess I don't have to worry about hitting my head on it, since my wife routinely tells me that my head is buried somewhere up my a$$. And as long as I keep my nuts firm - but not tight I have less of a chance of dying... I'm taking that in the end, until I get into it a little deeper (overheads and scooters) there's not a definative DIR, GUE, or otherwise asnwer to this one. So I'm going to go with... hmmmm I still don't know...

Ok. So I guess I don't have to worry about hitting my head on it, since my wife routinely tells me that my head is buried somewhere up my a$$. And as long as I keep my nuts firm - but not tight I have less of a chance of dying... I'm taking that in the end, until I get into it a little deeper (overheads and scooters) there's not a definative DIR, GUE, or otherwise asnwer to this one. So I'm going to go with... hmmmm I still don't know...

almost everyone I know keep their nuts loose. Keep in mind the isolator won't "spin" because it's got lots of air pressure holding it in place.

Rjack. I used to tighten my isolator as well because the spinning bothered me. Get used to it and loosen that thing. It doesn't have to be easy to spin, just capable of it.

The problem is they are too easy to rotate. If I don't lock down my nuts the whole bar moves away from me :D

Several of them I can move with my neck just putting my head in the right position. Guess they need more corrosion.

Gee Brian, I totally agree with you. So you might want to rethink your position as lord knows you like to disagree with me on general principle. :D

Hell has truly frozen over.

This has nothing to do with isolator knob positioning, but this unfortunate result happened to us a couple of weeks ago upon the start of the dive. There were no leaks when it happened, and we didn't even notice the result until after the dive, subsequent fill, and storage of the tanks. A new crossbar was installed yesterday.

llfr7.jpg
That happens when the bands are loose regardless of whether the isolator valve is loose or not.

You can see where the tank on the left has slid up relative to the band and to the tank on the right. Checking to ensure the hardware securing the bands are still tight is something worth doing from time to time.

You can see where the tank on the left has slid up relative to the band and to the tank on the right.

Yep, there was a left-tank impact that nudged it up the bands. I have my theories as to why the bands didn't hold, but I'm holding my tongue to protect the innocent :D

As of today, the crossbar's replaced, the tanks are viz'd, the bands tightened, and fingers are crossed.

Yep, there was a left-tank impact that nudged it up the bands. I have my theories as to why the bands didn't hold, but I'm holding my tongue to protect the innocent :D

Okay, I'll fess up. Fell on my . . . tank . . . at the ramp at Lobos. Could have been pretty painful, so all in all I'm glad only the crossbar got bent.

Continueing the Thread Hijack - but it's my thread so ...

I had someone at a lds tell me that they are supposed to loosen the bands prior to filling and then tightened back down after - but he doesn't do it as a rule. has anyone heard of this? I've never heard of it done before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom