Isolator Manifolds Blah Blah Blah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've blown a burst disk and have had to isolate. The isolator vs no isolator argument is pretty old and I think it sticks with Jeff Bozanic,that is why he put it in that IUCRR article. The incidence of isolator failures is pretty low,the only problem I've experienced is an isolator that needed channel locks to close,which a rebuild fixed that. I solve the debate of an isolator by moving the tanks off my back.

Tegg:
Agreed.

Why manifold at all if you take out the benefit of isolation?

As Michael said. Gas management, and air sharing would be more complicated. Personally, I prefer the K.i.s.s. method(keep it simple stupid). I have discussed independents with many people . But, I dont understand the advantage unless you sidemount. With sidemount their is no question. Go independent.
I sit on the fence on this issue also. But, once again I quote Michael
"There is a small movement away from the isolator. There are some claims that, at this point, there are few or no cases of an isolator preventing an accident and several cases were the isolator actually caused an injury."
I do not dive solo. So if following rule of thirds. Hopefully never happen. But if there was/is a catastrophic air loss :icon10: you should be able to get out on your buddies air. In case anyone is wondering, I have no problem with solo diving. Whatever floats your DBL's. I just choose not to solo dive. That's an argument for a differnt thread.
To answer Jasonmh, I am currently diving an isolator but cosidering a strait bar for my next set of Dbl's.

I have had two situations that I used the isolator. One was a nicked O-ring when I vized the cylinders the other I spun the reg loose in a tight space. Not the outer part that screws into the valve but the inner part that screws into the reg. Both situations were solo dives and the isolator was needed to get back out. I dove independents for years and if I got rid of the isolators on my back mount cylinders I would go independent. My side mount cylinders are all independent anyway so it does not change the task loading for me. Diving a staight bar with no option to isolate I would not dive even in buddy teams. Just my personal opinion but then again I figure I have to get myself out even in buddy teams.

Bobby

Seems to me that sidemount would be a better choice over backmount independents is that correct?

What happens if your diving a straight bar and you blow a burst disc, or if you have a raised burst disc thing and you knock it? Then your venting all your gas. If you blew a main tank o ring (which ive never seen happen) then u'd prolly also wanna isolate. I mean its not really a money issue, and i dont know of any failures CUASED by an isolator so what the hell why not?

Not too long ago someone in Cave country (N.Fl.), was/is injured in because of the isolator (sort of) Since I don't have first hand knowledge I hesitate to speak too authoritatively however I can speak second hand. The argument goes that had there not been an isolator than the accident couldn't/wouldn't have happened. The isolator wasn't as much of the problem as other factors, but nonetheless no isolator, no accident.
I certainly agree with Bobby, in that if I was solo I think an isolator could come in handy(to say the least). The diving some of us are doing dictates self reliance. In my case my wife(also a scuba instructor) has very kindly and politely asked me NOT to cave dive solo, OW and wreck is another story. (I know, I know-what's the difference, but that's another story)
So as I have stated I will PROBABLY go to a straight bar for cave, and keep a set of dbls with an isolator for wreck and deep.
As far as a manifold vs independent dbls, that seems to be another option that makes scuba so damn much fun, choices-options-alternatives-more toys to play with.

My thought on this has always been pro isolator. If you have a failure but do not immediately know which post to shut down, closing the isolator will LIKELY leave you with enough gas to exit on your own.

Anyone aware of any isolator-related issues NOT having to do with operator error? With all due respect to the people who have had isolator manifold issues - and let me preface this by saying that I am only intro certified and am still only diving a single tank, so I am not speaking from experience - I can't imagine getting in the water without checking the isolator, and I can't imagine getting a fill (whether air, nitrox, trimix, whatever) without verifying that the isolator is in the correct position, and the air in each tank correct.

Is the primary issue with isolator manifolds simply that it introduces an element of human error? Or is there an argument that it introduces another mechanical point of failure? Or both?

It seems like all other things being equal (and this is clearly under debate), it's hard to argue against the ability to be able to isolate your tanks.

Brian

Jason B:
Seems to me that sidemount would be a better choice over backmount independents is that correct?

IMHO it depends on the task for the dive. I dive back mount a lot of the time just cause it is easy to thow on and jump in the water and other divers are more familiar with back mount doubles. I had back mount independents until about 5 years ago. I went to the isolator simply to look less like a dinasour and not get grief from others at dive sites LOL. To me it is six of one half a dozen the other between independent back mount and isolator. Side mount is easier to move things around and what not in the water but takes longer to set up for the dive.

Bobby

I was thinking in terms of say a reg failure. On sidemount you could easily swap a reg no?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom