IT and Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Software developer for 1 and a half years, but did undergrad in marine bio as well as com. sci, so a lot of the divers I know are actually in some field of biology. I'm currently trying to reach the level of technical wizardry some of you old school bearded IT professionals exibit.

I agree with WreckWriter, most of the regular non-IT divers must still be on the snail mail newsletter version of ScubaBoard.

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Maybe it's more of a corelation between IT people and people who hang out on Internet message boards?
Tom

And a bunch of other acronymns that don't mean too much. I think I'm into everything that has really nifty gadgets. This could be why I waste so much money on cars. =-)

A facination with being udnerwater doesn't hurt either.

Cheers,

Kevin

PS. See Dive name. I'm even proud of it. Kind of sad huh? :bang:

Also, I can't think of anything better to do when I'm traveling then find a local dive shop and explore.

Thank god for expense accounts! :boozer:

I do network administration, and I'm a college student studying computer systems engineering and IT (networks).

I don't think there's a large portion of IT people in diving, it's just that the people who really get into diving are generally more technically minded people. Serious divers (the kind who end up on diving BB's and whatnot) seem to love the technical aspect of it.. lots of data, lots of processing.

Then again, maybe it's just me who loves that.. I am biased :wink:

From my perspective..we work in a rather dull field...dont get me wrong...I get a high when I fix a problem or figure something out I didnt know when I first started troubleshooting, but diving is exciting.

I think it will allow me to fill the void in a boring IT job...I'm on a computer all day long....at work, my school is an online school,...

I think diving is a great stress reliever and a chance to get out from the corporate world..which i think sucks by the way, but thats a whole other thread. :wink:

A+, MCSE+I NT 4.0, MCSE Win2K, MCDBA, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, SBOOMM (Still Bored Out Of My Mind)..lalala and more...I have been diving off and on since '92...I started the systems admin -to the- Network Engineer (contracting)- to the- tired of getting calls about down email / web/ Print server at 3am- to A Monday - Friday 9-5....teaching others how to get the above certs...So, they can answer the phone calls @ 3 am. :) ....I can't complain too bad though...it pays the bills...In all honesty, I will probably be back in the Army w/in a year. I need another "All Inclusive" vacation, to another country, funded by Uncle Sam. "Hooah!"

Electrical Engineer at the Kwajalein Missile Range. (Radar and Chip Design)

I'd say the IT/Scuba phenominon is a result of Scuba Board being an IT-related medium. When I look at our community of divers out here, I'd say the IT guys make up less than 1% of the scuba community. Then again we're not a typical community.

IT professional here also. Been doing computers H/W, S/W and networking full time since 82. My job involves being on-line with a fast connection a lot of the time, so dropping by is easy. Diving experience is all recent, but it is nice to get away from computers (except the 2 I carry:)

Hoping to get out diving this weekend...

VP and part owner - software firm. Most of my dive buddies are either engineers (mechanical & nuclear) or IT types. Couple MD/PhD's in bunch.

I also attribute this IT & diving phenom to the two previously mentioned variables - disposable income and the technical aspects of diving. Obviously the .com boom over the last decade certanly fueled disposable income for many, leading them to take up and participate in a wider variety of activities, especially high risk activities.

I think many of the uninitiated are intimidated by the technical and mechanical (equipment) aspects of the sport. Whereas IT/engineer types and the over-schooled (Dr.s') love tables and equipment and the challenge of it all.

Back
Top Bottom