It was the best of buys, it was the worst of buys . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
So . . . What are your best deals? What did you find that you either got a great price on, or figured out how to replace an expensive piece of equipment with something that works just as well but is far cheaper?

And in contrast, where did you try to save a few bucks and seriously regretted having done so later?

I'll start.

Best buys: My $800 brand new drysuit, which despite a variety of issues, now has about 200 dives on it. The Zeagle regs I got from Scubatoys for the Leisurepro price, with warranty, which my husband loves. The Scubapro MK2 regulator for $50 from Scubatoys (I had to buy two, they were so cheap.) And my $20 Chuck Taylor tennies that play rock boots with my wetsuit.

Not so best buys: The used Scubapro regulators I got a very nice price on, which have lost their chrome and corrode quickly, and require frequent and not inexpensive service. In the long run, they're going to cost me easily as much as I would have spent for them new and in warranty, with the "parts for life" program.

The doubles I bought as O2 cleaned, which were shipped disassembled, got flash rust, had to be retumbled, and the valves, which had been wrapped in newspaper, had to be re-O2-cleaned, and the bands, which got smashed in shipping beyond salvage, had to be replaced. By the time I got all that done, they weren't a great buy any more.

Worst of Buys:

I made a deal to sell a guys complete kit and accessories for him in trade for a steel 100. After weeks, I sold all the stuff and got the tank and the tank failed hydro.

I bought THREE drysuits before I did it right and ordered a new one, custom.

Best of Buys:

I bought 2 brand new Apex xtx200's for... THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS each! :D

My IANTD instructor took me from Advanced Recreational Trimix through full hypoxic Trimix for....FREE!! :D (Talk about hard up for a buddy :eyebrow: .)

Ah... Scubatoys.

I never buy used equipment, not even fins. And I only use warranted, widely available equipment that has been proven foolproof by general scuba usage.

Best buys: getting service technician qualified by the equipment manufactuerers of the equipment that I use; PST cylinder inspection certification; and gas blender and O2 service certification - all best buys for the knowledge gained and the repair cost savings that you get. Also, CPR and dive specific medical training that I have received are invaluble.

Bad buys: nothing, been diving for 33 years...

Oh man,

My best "buy" thus far has been my DIRF class. nothing has impacted my diving so positively since I was certified 12 years ago.

My worst buy? Haven't had any really awful ones. Some minor ones like the cheapo finger spool I bought from a major company which broke before I got it to the water. It now has been re-purposed as drying line out on my porch. My 2-piece wetsuit which I bought and got a bit tight and now only the top portion fits. One of my doubles wings that is totally unsuited to the diving I am currently doing, though might become some use when I move to a drysuit.

Other than that, my mostly "DIR" purchases have spared me buying bad gear.

Go EBay!

"Best Buy" was the brand new DUI TLS (pockets, zippers, pads) for $870. Still working to "learn" it but I'm able to hit the bigger target of diving year round!

"Worst Buy" actually turned up being the Mares Volo fins. Great for cutting through the water but when it comes to control...not so much. Would've been better served with the SP Jets

Dane

I bought a BP/W, fully intending to use it for single tanks, but I was talked into purchasing a 50lb wing, because hey, you can use it for both singles and doubles, right? I replaced the 50lb wing with a proper 30lb singles wing a long while back, and it is MUCH better now, and my 50lb wing is just sitting in the trunk of my car, not getting used. Though, it will get used in the near future, I am sure, when I decide on what tanks to purchase to turn into doubles, so it wasn't a total loss. :D

"Best buy": A new Ursuit Cordura, FZ, drysuit for 700$

"Worst buy": I´ve bought but no longer use a Seaquest Balance, "OMS liferaft" aka 90lb wing, and 7+7 mil wetsuit.

I wouldn´t call them "bad" though, the use I got out of these items and the dives I made were valuable experiences, part of "paying my dues". I have now tried "all" the options and found what works for me and why.

Absolute best buy for me for the century? ScubaBoard. :D I was already a Divemaster when I got here, but y'all have really taught me HOW to dive.

Absolute worst buy? TUSA Duo Air which is a combination of BC inflator/deflator and Second regulator.

Best buy: DM class. Got me out of a rut and re-energized my diving. These days I have more plans than time. :)

Worst buy: Homemade divelight. Couldn't find all the right parts so I tried to innovate and ended up pumping more and more time, effort and money into getting that damned thing to work than any sane person would have. I discoverd, however, that (a) *I* am a total loser when it comes to DIY projects and (b) the exact depth at which my home made light goes PANG and it gets all dark.

The worst part about this is that my ego won't let this go. I started building a new one last winter and when I have some spare time I'll finish it..... but this time it's going to be better. This time it's going to work and this time I'm not going to get a battery made for it until I get something I can take down to 50 or 60 metres without it leaking or imploding.... :)

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom