Italian woman dead on Mozambique reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess most of us are lucky enough that our first thought on seeing a dead body isn't whether we can sell its stuff.

I know we live in a f#cked world, but to immediately think the kit was removed to be sold and the body tossed/left into the water is just as bad.

The diver could have ditched the kit, current could have ripped/pulled it of after she expired. The body was in the water for 2 days.

I know we live in a f#cked world, but to immediately think the kit was removed to be sold and the body tossed/left into the water is just as bad.

The diver could have ditched the kit, current could have ripped/pulled it of after she expired. The body was in the water for 2 days.

This is true, but...

We are talking about a third world country where many, many, MANY of the citizens are living in poverty stricken areas/conditions...

And I wasn't necessarily thinking "the body tossed/left into the water" but perhaps found, pulled from the water, relieved of gear (justified with a deceased person isn't going to need it perhaps), and then body reported to and secured for authorities...

Please dont assume poor people are thiefs or have no respect for the dead. That a first world attribute.

Please dont assume poor people are thiefs or have no respect for the dead. That a first world attribute.

"That *is* a first world attribute"... ftfy

Oh no, I don't assume poor people are thieves and have no respect for the dead. I assume portions of ALL people are thieves and have no respect for the dead. News flash, that's a real world attribute. *Some* funeral directors in the US "relieve" the dead of their jewelry between the funeral and burial. *Some* cops "forget" to log cash into evidence after an arrest. Funeral directors charging families for cremation of a loved one, but instead, just stacking the bodies on the back 40 (this one was local). And yes *some* people will remove valuables from a found body before they alert the authorities. Seen some of these things happen first hand. Poor, rich, black, white, first world nations, third world, make no mistake, no set of people is immune to it...

I am of the opinion that there is a relationship between how desperate a person is and what they may be willing to do to survive.
I am also of the opinion that the average person in a third world country *may* feel a little more desperation to survive than your average person in a first world country.
People in a first world country steal and have no respect for the dead for a completely different reason... greed.

But I believe we've moved to a topic outside of the scope of this thread...

deleted

AJ - you’re funny. I’m from SA too and lived in Hillbrow for a while. Try leaving something “outside” unattended for a while. Attached to a body or otherwise. Good luck.

I never “loved” Mozambique diving. Tough entries/re-entries. Did it a few times then realized that I was not enjoying it.

Would it be appropriate to label you as a thief since you lived in Hillbrow? If the answer is No, then generalizing that poor people steal is just as distasteful... People steal irrespective of income or social hierarchy.

Would it be appropriate to label you as a thief since you lived in Hillbrow? If the answer is No, then generalizing that poor people steal is just as distasteful... People steal irrespective of income or social hierarchy.

Wink wink nudge nudge. Sure. Whatever you say. I lived in Hillbrow in 1981. Might be different now. Enough off-topic already.

2 days, with a day of 12 foot waves, could easily separate diver from equipment. She may have inflated BC and was at the surface where all the wave action was.. sad

Back
Top Bottom