Jacket vs Back Inflate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot81:
So what are the advantages of having a back plate / wing? Everyone seems to be harping about them but I dont quite get why its better. Upgradability? For Rec & Tec? Cheers.

I hope you're ready for the answers you'll get!

The main advantage of a bp+w as opposed to (some of) the just-backinflate bcs is versatility. If you have a backplate, you can attach all kinds of different wings to the same plate depending on the conditions for your dive, this keeps cost and storage space down. If you mosey on over to the manufacturer's sites, you'll see the variety of wings that are available.

this is just my short version on the issue, as I'm still fairly inexperienced with wings. BUT I LOVE THEM!!! (sorry, had to say that :devil_2: )

Didnt want to get into TOOOOOO much detail first time out here. In the famous words of a famous man...Zeagle is ..as Zeagle does !....

fan(t)a(s)tic:
The main advantage of a bp+w as opposed to (some of) the just-backinflate bcs is versatility. If you have a backplate, you can attach all kinds of different wings to the same plate depending on the conditions for your dive, this keeps cost and storage space down. If you mosey on over to the manufacturer's sites, you'll see the variety of wings that are available.

Exactly, I switch from my 32lbs wing when I dive with a single cylinder to my 55lbs wing when using double. That way I can always use the same backplate and harness anytime I'm diving. Of course you could buy a DiveRite Teckwing (40lbs of lift) and use it with single or medium weight double.

pilot81:
So what are the advantages of having a back plate / wing? Everyone seems to be harping about them but I dont quite get why its better. Upgradability? For Rec & Tec? Cheers.

Not sure I am really qualified to share my opinions as I am new to BP+Wing. Just got my setup for less than 2 month and got only 4 dives logged on it.

Anyway, as it is saide by many other, it provides lots of flexibilities in terms of the whole set up. My basic setup began with a backplate, harness, and wing. I then went out and customize my own pockets in accordance to what I need. I enjoyed the process alot. As it is said by may other (again) BP+Wing is a setup which can grow with you as you move on to higher level of diving requirements.

Also, the whole BP+Wing setup is less bulky than my other BCD, a SeaQuest ProQD+.

Though I don't intend to go technical with my diving (at least not now), I will be diving mostly with my BP+Wing setup. Thinking of selling my ProQD+ but it's not that easy to find divers who need XL BCD in Thailand.

Ciao,

I own and have used both the Scuba Pro classic BC which utilizes an air filled jacket so to speek and Dacor Rig which is much like the plate and wing configuration with the exception of using a cumberbund and chest harness type of setup. The nature of the harness on the Rig holds it tightly in place and the tank doesnt move around at all and it is also a weight integrated system.....no weight belt to fool with. I have done literally hundreds of dives in both bc's and I dont ever take the Scuba Pro Calssic out anymore, the rig just does a better job of holding everything in place and the type of harness is still easily removed in water to either untangle yourself or just remove or put it on.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom