Jameson Karst Edwards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to hear that Marci please be sure to keep us updated, on his progress! Good wishes headed your way.

Good news indeed! Glad to see the little chap is such a fighter!

Sorry to hear about his tummy, my boy had hypertrophe Pylorusstenose at 2 weeks....ya feel really helpless. Glad to hear that he is doing better. I hope he continues up hill! All the best for you and Jameson!

PS: Love the alert look on his face in your avatar :blush:

ok, news. he gained 1/2lb in 3 days. (now up to 3 3/4lb) this is too much fluid. several possible reasons why/contributing factors/vicious cycles.

he's not being fed by digesting milk since the intestinal infection on new year's, but getting his nutrition in an iv. this isn't optimal, and getting your electrolytes like that can cause fluid shifts and retention. then, if they change his electrolyte levels, that can make things worse, fluid-wise. sorta like eating an entire big bag of chips can make your ankles swell if you're susceptible to that.

so all this extra fluid is making his heart work harder, and it is enlarging according to an xray this evening. if his heart is left alone pushing against all that, his lungs can back up and fill up with more fluid - congestive heart failure. right now, something to closely watch.

*and* his heart working more against more pressure means his ductus arteriosus - a little vessel that links your lung vessels to your aorta when you're a fetus - is very likely open. is this the cause of the extra fluid, or a result? who knows. anyway, this is the murmur most newborns have that goes away over the first few days. being on a vent, being a preemie, the extra fluid - these are some risk factors.

SO - the plan is 1) an echocardiogram in the morning. this is a heart ultrasound. they will see if the ductus is indeed open.

if it is, 2) ligation (clipping it closed) of it in the next few days. this is a little surgery, not a big deal, not open heart or anything, except that it is *my teeny baby*! actually, i'm concerned, but not worried. it really isn't a big surgery or a big risk, but still... sometimes, though, fixing a pda (patent ductus arteriosis, for those playing along at home) makes a *huge* difference and babies can come off the vents almost like magic and start breathing on their own. sometimes that doesn't happen. ya pays yer money and takes yer chance.

if nothing shows up on the echo, then no surgery and we hope that 3) feeding him (which will start a week after his normal tummy xray, which will be about wednesday) and slowly getting him off the iv nutrition might be the key.

until then, they are increasing his lasix (fluid medicine, which makes him pee some of it off) to twice a day. he's slowly been needing more oxygen over the last week or so, and i think he's been retaining that long, just not showing it by being puffy, so i hope that will make a big difference in his needs.

so, in summary, he's having an obstacle that might need a little surgical procedure. at the least, it needs close watching.

you know i'll keep y'all informed!

Marci, sorry to hear that, I do hope all goes well. The little guy is a fighter though. As I have said several times if you need anything let me know, I am not that far away.

I don't know what to say... Glad you are staying so optimistic :yelclap: Still thinking of you and "playing along at home". :) Thank you for the update.

Marci,

You know we are all "playing along at home". You and Jameson continue to be in our prayers. With so many prayers being offered, God is surely overwhelmed. Thank you for your continued updates. I am sure you get weary of having to update us all but it means the world. Tell the little guy that he has more folks pulling for him that he can ever count.

We love you both. Hang tough.

Yellow Angel Fish and The Kraken

Marci, all the best to the both of you

make sure you get sleep and eat and stuff

Well, he sure keeps you on your toes!

Best wishes for tomorrow, and let us know what happens.

And as Andy said, take care of yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom