Japanese open fire on Sea Shepherd crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way it's deformed my guess would be it was lead. Also would a rubber bullet lodge in a Kevlar vest - I don't know.

Operation Migaloo is named after the only white humpback whale in the region. One we're hoping the Japanese fleet doesn't spot.

Would the really kill a white humback whale? Oh that's right it's Japanese whalers we are talking about here...of course they would. Imagine the "scientific research" they could do with a white humpback (cue chewing and swallowing sounds)

"Migaloo" means "white fella" in the aboringinal language. Before humpbacks were taken off
Japan's kill list, they were asked if they saw Migaloo, would they kill him? The Japanese official
replied "he is a humpback isn't he?"

I am a police firearms instructor with the state of VA and have a bit of knowlege about kevlar. I was once saved by my kevlar vest in 1983. I have also had the bark knocked off me by getting shot about 5 years ago when I was not wearing kevlar...
I have also shot kevlar vests with rifles, handguns and even with broadhead arrows and have fooled with less-than-lethal loads like rubber buck. Rubber buck won't deform a badge or penetrate kevlar. A beanbag load packs a wallop but this guy was shot by a projectile from the looks of it, not a less-than-lethal load.

Not sure what threat level vest he was wearing but he is lucky. Many soft body armor can be penetrated by a rifle projectile. Sounds like the Captain was dressing for sucess by wearing his kevlar that day.

NOT defending whaling... but.... only last week, i saw Capt Looney on tv telling me that the SS Lollyship was now practising "chemical warfare" (his words) against the japanese fleet.

i guess alot of captains out there when under attack would start defending themselves

but (again), i do appreciate that SS, unlike greenpeace, actually gets results but dont like their loony methods

Almity,
They were rotten butter bombs - completely organic and harmless albeit very stinky.

but in a war of words and press... he claims chemical warfare. if a japanese boat started similar action against a US boat what do you think the response would be??

considering the SS nature for the in your face confrontation... how long do you trust the SS crew to keep to stink bombs???

next? a handfull of nails with ratkiller?? i fear a escalation of responses from each side

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom