Jet Fins vs. Volo vs. Quattro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll throw my two cents in here...

My Quattros are my favorite for SCUBA for so many reasons. For snorkeling, I use my SP Twin Jets. The Quattros feel like bricks on my feet at the surface, the Twin Jets get the job done.

Colin Berry

Well I have the quattos and the true scuba pro jets. Personally it kind of depends on several items one fit is very important, second you leg strength means allot too, and the type of diving you are doing for every day diving the quattos would be my choice but for deep wreck and like hear in NC wear sometime you have currents.
I would go with the jets as they have more power and are easy used with frog kicks and other kicks that will move you along.

'true scuba pro rockets'...?

US Divers made Rocket Fins, Scuba Pro makes Jet Fins. Similar, designs., but different levels of performance..and having owned both, the Jets are significantly better.

Jets would be my first preference, if you intend to use alternate finning styles. If you're only going to flutterkick, get the Quattros.

XenoMorph2049 once bubbled...
That is being cosidered if I find a shop Im comfortable with. I will be trying these out first hand even if its just to try snorkling with. I know its two diffrent things but should give me SOME idea as to how I like them.

Very few fins work good at the surface. Jets are definetly not of of them, at least not with kicks comonly used by snorkelers.

I had Volos. Thought they were great. Then I used them in current. Thought they sucked. Then I used them more and more and they seemed to get floppier and floppier. Then they started developing cracks.

My LDS warrantied them out and I got a set of quattros to replace them with. By that time, I had already moved on to Jets. My quattros are still sitting in their original bag. Never even been taken out of the bag, much less gotten wet.

The first several times I used the Jets, I got leg cramps. A result of too much time spent doing inefficient kicks. Now I wouldnt dive with anything else and I have spent over 4 hours underwater on a single dive with them without having cramps.

Bottom line, if you plan to dive only warm water, no currents a few times a year, Volo's will probably suit you fine.

If you are doing a lot of diving, with a little bit more challenge involved but still in the recreational arena, you'll probably prefer the quattros.

If you are thinking of any type of tech diving that's equipment intensive, you'll find the jets to be hard to beat.

BTW, you'll probably find that you can buy a pair of jets for half the cost of a pair of Volos, or get a pair of jets and add spring straps for abou the cost of the quattros.

Ok, the shop didnt have any Jets at the time. They only had a pair of quattros which were to small any way. I believe I'll be going with a pair of Jets for deep/technical dives and a pair of Liquid blues for calmer waters. Thanks for the input guys and keep it coming.

Buyer Beware.

Experience is the only solution to knowing what is right for you. As you can see even the experience of us with various fins is contradictory.

And take it from me, experience is expensive.

Yes, agreed. I am just trying to get a general consensus. I am probably going with the jets if i try them and like them. The shop I went to today is going to let me try them on a "intro to diving" course or something like that. Im going to also try the liquid blues because I naturally flutter kick..........who knows........I might end up with blade 2's:D

BTW, some people can, but I cannot.....

Do a helicopter turn, spiral, frog kick (efficiently), nor back kick with SP Twin Jets.

With Quattros, no problem. I was doing these kicks before I knew that they had names for them. It just felt natural, and the Quattros worked.

Many threads on this issue, and many people with different experiences.

These are just my experiences.

I took My Quatros ( size regular- with spring straps), and my Jets (size XL-with spring straps). I switched back and forth over two days of diving.

I decided I like my Jets better.

For Drysuit diving with Rockboots I use Turtle Fins ........yup, they have spring straps too :wink:

Ok, I've caved and gotten Jets as well... I used to use Volo Race fins...and was thinking of getting Quattros.

I recently dove my Jets in strong current...a place I dove with my Volos once before as well... maybe it's just me... but here's what I felt..

The Jets are worse than the Volos using the flutter kick... I mean, Jets are strong... but covering the same ground with Volos take a lot less leg power.

Jets rock with the frog kick.. but not by much over Volos... BUT... the main advantages that the Jets have over the Volos...or any other fin for that matter are...

they are short... so you rarely hit anything by accident.
they are powerful... you get excellent performance in all types of kicks..not as good as some...but close enough that it's negligible.
they are durable... rarely scratch... and won't break.

I do have one complaint though... after all these years...the foot pockets still suck. I'm a size 8.5 and use Large Jets... the pocket itself is big enough... but the top arch of my foot hits the weird upper part of the foot pocket... who has feet that are THAT flat??? If I had feet that flat, I'd be a duck!!! :lol:

I feel that foot pockets shouldn't have any gaps on either side of your foot to minimize drag on the up-stroke... anyway... those are just my thoughts and observations.

No scientific data or any hydro-tests like that. Jets are cool... could use better designed footpockets... and come with springs by DEFAULT from Scubapro... but other than that... they're excellent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom