Joewr and Jellyfish Research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry guys, Should have mentioned that it's not a picture of me (worse luck) but one I got off of the web.
DD - these critters are amazing - here's what National Geographic had to say:
Among Palau’s other attractions are 36 marine lakes. Jellyfish Lake, with its extraordinary jellyfish population, is the most visited. Like the others, it is dark green, has poor visibility, and is as warm as bathwater. Each day, jellyfish slowly follow the sun’s path across the lake, soaking up sunlight for the life-supporting algae in their tissues. Because they haven’t needed to protect themselves from predators, these jellyfish have lost the ability to sting. Their lakes were sealed off from the open ocean eons ago, and jellyfish-eaters, such as turtles, were locked out. Without the threat of getting stung, today’s underwater explorers can swim freely among yellow polka-dotted jellyfish shimmering harmlessly in the sun.

The other interesting thing about this lake is that it has 3 distinct layers (thermoclines if you will). The 1st has the Jelly fish and is perfectly safe to swim/scuba in. The 2nd is a redish colour (or color for you guys on the other side of the Atlantic) - think Mars and may be slightly toxic (not sure about this). The 3rd layer is Black and is incredibly toxic. The toxin is absorbed by the skin and is fatal after a few minutes (ouch). Apparantly this is caused by the decomposition of leaves,mulch etc.

Hey, Joewr - the water's warm as well so it wouldn't risk our CAD status :p

Amoeba - avid Discovery/National Geographic watcher

Wow, that's pretty incredible! I might actually rid myself of my jellyfish fears in that lake.

How deep does the top layer thermocline decend? I'd hate to overweight in that place!

BTW, we were all hoping that was you in the picture!!

DD - I wonder why?

I'm not sure what the depths are - I'm trying to see if I can find that on the web at the moment. I'll let you know as soon as I find anything.

And yup - the last thing I'd like is to overweight - though from what I've just read it is a snorkle as opposed to a dive.

I just saw a program on Discovery Channel about the lakes of Palau a couple of weeks ago - fantastic. The ecology of these lakes is very interesting - each one completely different to the others.

After seeing that program, I started looking up costs on diving trips to Palau - wish I could go tomorrow!

Genki desu! Just practicing because my lesson is in 10 minutes!!!

The diving out here is great even for CAD members at them moment. I guess I am still excited by it all as it definitely is not the UK as there is so much to see - it's almost like being on holiday, and a lot of the sites are quicker to get to than London to Stoney or London to Portland!!!

Now all my mates have decided skiing is off next year for one reason or another Palau is defintely on the radar for next year and I will have to defintely check out that lake - I don't mind jellyfish, just not so keen on eating them.

Another culinary thing I don't get out here is the fight for the fish head and tail - I leave them to crunch away whilst I go for something with a bit of meat on.......

Jonathan

Jonoson-kun,

Let's start with English for a change! I have never dived in the Land of the Rising Sun, but it sounds good. Atami is beautiful on the surface, but I wondered what the landscape was like u/w. Are there lots of sites reasonably close to Tokyo? How about on Shikoku or down at Kyushu?

.Note: the faint of heart need not read the following paragraph.

Now, I, too, never developed a taste for the bonier parts of the fish either. However, that local "taste" extends to birds: if you go to the Inari Jinja in Kyoto, you will find vendors selling "baby" sparrows that have been barbeque on a skewer. The locals love the crunching sound experienced when eating the head! Never-the-less, do not let that thought deter you from visiting the shrine: it is beautiful and a visit there is supposed to bring you luck...unless you happen to be a sparrow.

Sore dewa, gambatte! (Well, then, study hard!)

Joewr...

What is the facination with things that go crunch? Probably time for our Thai friends to "chirp" in with bug stories....... Still off to Kyoto in 2 weeks so who knows?

I've dived 3 sites on the Isu penisular so far - Atami, Ito & Tago. The best for me so far is all the soft coral - very pretty and lots of different types. I've also been to Hachijo Jima which was great and I must scan in the photos. Unfortuantely there will not be many more photos in the short term as my camera flooded on Sunday - playing with my new strobe as well. Glad I took out the insurance on that. You can find some photos from Atami at http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/jonathanburson

Jonathan

In Thailand it's not so much a matter of texture, that's definitely a Chinese/Japanese thing. My Chinese grandmother absolutely loves the fish head and tail, rarely touches the meaty bits, and we're all quite fond of crunchy things like roasted pigs ears and tails....

They did have small birds on a platter on the buffet table (ugh...) at the Japanese restaurant on Sunday. They looked really unappetising and pathetic on the dish. I don't think I could eat a bird's head with relish, however I am partial on occasion to deep fried locusts that can be found on the street vendors' trolleys around Thailand - I'm not kidding! They're really quite moorish, especially with a beer or two. You can get other, bigger bugs - like scorpions, big beetles and even cockroaches but those are a bit beyond my gustatory capabilities. :p

Jonathan - great pics... I never really thought about diving in Japan but it looks lovely. You must definitely go to Palau if you've got the chance... that jellyfish lake must be awesome.

The Thai's are not the only ones to like deep fried locust. Many of the african tribes in Zimbabwe and South Africa find it a delicacy as well. Many were the days of my youth, tromping around the garden catching the little (dare I say it?) buggers. Mum could never figure out why I wasn't hungry at dinner!

So, Keralucu, you're not the only one!

Back
Top Bottom