JUNE 2010 in Cozumel!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't find an "August 2010 in Cozumel" thread so I have been reading this one.

My wife and I just booked a trip in August, staying at the Hotel Cozumel. Now down to deciding on a dive operator. I have been reading everyones recommendations on here, seems like may be down to scubawithalison, divewithmartin, and living underwater (although living underwater seems to be a lot more).

We have never dove in Cozumel (although we've done Jamaica and the Dominican Republic), we are fairly new to the hobby.

Can anyone offer some advice/tips for us on our trip?
An opinion on a dive operator would be welcome too.

thanks for any advice.....

OH, someone asked!!! Cheerleading on: :cheerleader::cheerleader:Well, Kabal22, not taking away from anyone else, as your others seem to have a good following on the board, the wife and I are Scuba with Alison all the way. What we love:
1. safety conscious. She keeps a close watch on things.
2. Nice boat, converted sport fisher I think. Has cabin under the bow where the wife likes to hide from the wind when wet. Plenty of shade too. Boat is fast with 2 big outboards.
3. small groups. I think we had eight once.
4. great crew. Carlos the Captain and Orlando her DM are both great.
5. FUN. She is a hoot. She combines being serious about doing it 'right' with alot of fun. While you are laughing, she is likely at the same time eyeballing your gear and such.
6. Late add: Dive your tank. Go up when you are low, not with the first air hog. (I tend to forget as I am the air hog... )

For me, it seem like you are going diving with a friend, rather than paying to go on a dive trip. She was our first after OW and we are afraid to dive with anyone else or anywhere else, because she has set too high a bar.

If you do go with her though, wash the sand off your feet after the SI. She has a thing about that. You can tell her I reminded you.... :D :cheerleader::cheerleader:Cheerleading off:

Last edited:
Scuba Du, Scuba Du, Scuba Du, just a first class operation, you won't regret.
Good People, Great Guides, Nice Clean Boats, and please shore dive the El
Presidente, a really nice shore dive. Tell Antonio, "Darol" sent ya.....

I didn't find an "August 2010 in Cozumel" thread so I have been reading this one.

My wife and I just booked a trip in August, staying at the Hotel Cozumel. Now down to deciding on a dive operator. I have been reading everyones recommendations on here, seems like may be down to scubawithalison, divewithmartin, and living underwater (although living underwater seems to be a lot more).

We have never dove in Cozumel (although we've done Jamaica and the Dominican Republic), we are fairly new to the hobby.

Can anyone offer some advice/tips for us on our trip?
An opinion on a dive operator would be welcome too.

thanks for any advice.....

Welcome to Scubaboard and also welcome to the wonderful world of diving Cozumel.

Michael and I enjoy Blue XT SEA diving. We have been diving with Christi and her crew for several years. Small fast 6 pack boats, personal and professional handling of equipment and leading dives. Blue XT SEA divemasters are top notch and very experienced and very helpful to newbies and advanced divers alike. Even on the occasion that there is a mixed boat of various experience levels , the service quality is the same for all.

Now I can't speak for all dive ops, as Michael and I have only dived with 3 operators in Cozumel, but just to give you an idea of what a dive day is like with Blue XT SEA.... Upon arrival to Cozumel you check in with the shop. You take care of registering, getting your schedule and review of general policies, etc. Once that is done you meet with the dive boat and crew at your predetermined location. It could be your hotel pier or another location. If diving with a 6 pack boat such as Blue XT Sea's boats, it is a good idea to limit the amount of items you take to say a small dry bag. If you rent gear or take your personal gear with you at check-in, your gear (BCD, Regs, Fins) will be on the boat for your dive. The equipment will already be set up for you. Of course, you are responsible to check your gear set up yourself before diving. The dive site is determined ultimately by the divemaster and captain. Of course requests are considered. Your divemaster will review the dive plan, which includes your bottom time and before you know it your in the beautiful blue water. Bottom times are usually based on your air consumption. Therefore, divers will surface at different times. Again, this will all be covered and established in your briefing. Your surface interval is on shore somewhere. Blue XT provides refreshments which vary by day. ie: muffins, fruit, juice, water, sometimes hot tea. Towels are also provided. The second dive site, usually more shallow, is then determined by the divemaster/captain. After the second dive, you return to your drop off pier. Your gear BCD, Fins, regs are taken back to the shop where they are rinsed and stored until your next dive. Divers are responsible for their own wetsuits. After your second dive on your last dive day you take your gear with you.

This is the general routine with Blue XT SEA. I would guess that it is similar with other Boutique/6 pack dive ops. We enjoy this style of diving very much and it nice to be pampered a bit.

My input here is based on my personal favorite and as you have seen, many folks have their favorites. Most importantly, there are many excellent dive op's to choose from. The best bet is to do your research, as you are doing...then get your top 3 - 5 list according to your diving needs. (Do you like small faster boats or do you like larger slower boats ? Do you like boutique service or do you like to take care of your own gear 100 % ? ) Then, contact the dive op's with your questions. Once you find your match, reserve your diving and all you have then is the countdown to your vacation !!

Have a wonderful time and please do share your trip report when you return.

Sue

'kay... I can cheer...
Aldora Divers. Not the cheapest, but fast boats, excellent service, great DMs, big steel tanks, long dives, rabid fans...
See for yourself - Aldora Divers of Cozumel

k22 ... I'm another big Alison fan, but like Sue said, figure out what you want in a dive op, contact a few that interest you, ask questions, and go with who you think suits you best! There are so many reputable dive ops that you should have a great time with whomever you choose!:D

(But if you choose Alison, tell her CV & I talked you into it!! LOL!! :wink:)

Thanks to everyone who has given some information and opinions to me.

I heard a lot of recommendations for Alison (even before my question). I emailed them and sadly they do not offer pick-up/drop off at Hotel Cozumel. I don't think I could sell my wife on a cab ride each way before and after diving every day. So I think dive with Alison is out for me this trip.

I see some op's brag about having the bogger tanks and some say it's extra, and still others don't seem to mention tank size at all.

For those who have dove multiple op's, does the larger tank size give you a lot more bottom time? I would like to get the most out of each dive just not sure where I should draw the line on whether or not that is a requirement.

Dive with Martin-great service, small boats, good DM's, cheaper prices,equipment included and everything is set up for you(of course you can check it out yourself), and one thing I love is that they have you remove your equipment before going up the boat ladder at the end of the dive.....makes it soooo much easier for this "granny" to get back on the boat. I'm spoiled...just get on the boat, they bring me my set up and help get it on, and I roll off the side of the boat.
Also, if you check out their website, you can read where they help the needy people on the island with clothing donations. Bring a bag of clothing and gat a free dive(if you purchase the required dive package).

Thanks to everyone who has given some information and opinions to me.

I heard a lot of recommendations for Alison (even before my question). I emailed them and sadly they do not offer pick-up/drop off at Hotel Cozumel. I don't think I could sell my wife on a cab ride each way before and after diving every day. So I think dive with Alison is out for me this trip.

I see some op's brag about having the bogger tanks and some say it's extra, and still others don't seem to mention tank size at all.

For those who have dove multiple op's, does the larger tank size give you a lot more bottom time? I would like to get the most out of each dive just not sure where I should draw the line on whether or not that is a requirement.

The short answer is, NO, a larger tank size does not necessarily give you more bottom time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom