Just an observation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. Most of the people I know who dive, dive regularly and avidly here in Puget Sound. Some also travel, but a lot don't (and when they do, it's often down to California or up to BC, to do more cold water diving). I've never seen anybody hanging out in our local dive shops with their nose in the air about where they travel, or even about the cost of the gear they own.

You need to move to Seattle.

I am with TSandM on this. In my 3 years of diving (and I'm going to say it outright...I can afford to dive), most of the people I'v met are not high income earners. They make a living and have chosen diving as their hobby of which to spend their "hobby" income on. I have met so many people diving well maintained 10 year old gear and getting as much local time in with a dive trip once a year if they can get a deal. These are the hardcore divers I'm meeting with 500 to 1000 dives or more. Something I`ll never be (but aspire).

Any Canadian on this board will tell you, if you think Scuba diving is unaffordable, try playing hockey. And as Forghorn Leghorn once said `there`s somethin`` wrong with a Canadian boy who ai`t never played hockey`` or something like that.:D

Follow your diving dream as best you can Curtis

If you go to the shop that I use there is often a discussion about an out of the country trip. The shop has a travel department and it is not unusual to hear people discussing their past or upcoming trips. I really don't see it as snobish at all. There are many people there that go on multiple trips each year, they make far more money than I. I think a lot of the diving community likes travel and diving. What better way to enjoy 2 things at once than a trip?

I wish I could afford more trips to more dive destinations. I can't but it is great to be able to talk about those trips and dream of being able to go. It doesn't offend me when others talk about their trips. I makes me curious about the places they get to go. Curious enough that I often start researching the destinations. I see it as a chance to open my eyes to other places and talk to the people that have actually been there.

Alas, local diving options are extremely limited. Being land-locked is tough on a person who truly likes to dive. There is even less diving here than most places. No quarries, just a couple of lakes that are cold, murky and not much to see. The closest dive spot would be a +/- 6 hour drive one way. I guess until I am able to move someplace where there is more diving I will just have to dream, plan my next trip and wear the label of a Vacation Diver. You can also bet I am serious about diving, I constantly talk and dream about it.

What TSandM said applies to California, too. All the "cool" divers are local divers, regardless if we get in any exotic dive travel. Our gear is functional and well-worn.

If anyone's looking down anyone's nose, it would be us snickering at some vacation-only diver, who sported brand new, overpriced gear and claimed to be God's gift to diving.

I hope that you quickly find that your observation was only of a limited, non-representative group. Are there any local dive clubs around you?

Well from a scubaboard perspective, we have vladimir who talks about how much his shoes cost in threads about dive watches...

That attitude is what is killing dive shops and the industry. Not yours but the people in the shop. Those of us whose majority of diving is local are often more skilled, better diving educated, own more gear, and provide far more support to local shops. Vacation divers usually don't buy tanks, drysuits, multiple regs, lights, etc.. So take comfort in being what many of us consider to be a diver. Not an underwater tourist. I prefer to train people like you who will likely dive locally and support me and the other shops I work with to produce skilled safe divers who dive locally.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
The people who only go diving on vacation without buying any gear from their LDS dont "hang around the shop" in the weekends, now do they??

I have noticed that there is a group of people with a lot of money who buy the most expensive equipment and go to the high dollar areas. I have also noticed that they are often the ones who have the worst diving skills. When I was on a trip I got partnered with someone who had about $6K of equipment and although I was just certified I was afraid for his safety because he was totally unaware of where he was and what was going on around him.
And here we go making the same generalization that the OP was annoyed with, just the other way around. Sounds like jelousy to me..

Tortuga68:
Well from a scubaboard perspective, we have vladimir who talks about how much his shoes cost in threads about dive watches...

Is this when I should mention what a DSLR UW camera setup cost? :eek:

Have a very similar conversation going about finding a cheap dive computer... If it powers on and the sensors are correct, who cares how much you pay for a dive computer... Nitrox/air only/air integrated.... If a cheap $75 console keeps you in the water then buy it. It's not about the latest greatest dive gear its about being underwater after all....

I do agree though about dive shops, there were one or two in Arkansas that I just wouldn't go in because there was always pressure to buy gear (greeted at the door, pushing for a sale) and other shops did have the travel junkies that always would be hanging out... I didn't get to make a dive in Florida until I MOVED HERE because I just did not have the $$ to make a trip.

So ignore the guys in the shop, go dive (TenKiller is a blast, and Beaver lake isn't that much further for a full weekend of diving) and if you ever do find a way to head south, don't forget about North Florida, we have LOTS of dive sites and you don't have to deal with that nasty salt water.

Just saying...
:)

-Tim

My dogs bigger than your dog. BLA BLA BLA

Wow, I don't know were to begin. I have been fortunate to retire early and travel often, only having been certified two years plus three days. I am in the middle of my DiveCon training, and as such I lead many trips (also because of available time) locally. I love spending time with newly certified divers talking about what can be experienced. I sat with new divers on either side of me on our latest trip abroad, and I believe I enjoyed helping them as much as the new dive environment. I do dive a number of systems, enjoying both cold and warm water diving. I do have extensive UW camera gear, but I was taking 30-40k photos per year on land, so it only follows I would pursue the UW path, and have started teaching new UW photographers the joy of all systems. I often hear about how the new UW photographers can't compare, but I derive joy from showing them all the things they can accomplish with their equipment.

Of course I talk about where I have been fortunate enough to dive or will be diving, but usually only after asked. I think because of my enthusiasm, many want to hear my experiences. The more I can get others excited about their new sport, the better I feel. On the other hand, I dive with a large group, the majority that have 1,500 or more dives- humbling, enlightening and incredibly educational, especially since I now work with many of them.

Maybe I "live" at a excellent LDS that takes all comers, and works with all types of divers, new or experienced, rich or poor (somehow that diver managed to afford the class they always wanted, because the LSD spread out the costs). We need to make opportunities for everyone in this sport. Just my 2 cents....

P. S. Don't know why I went on this rant...just bear with me..

Back
Top Bottom