Just curious, which hose do you necklace and which do you clip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might want to take a side mount training class in which they teach basics like that. You might pick up a lot more that way than you might think.

Claudia, the problem with that statement is that it assumes all instructors teach it the same way, or that you should accept whatever the instructor tells you as gospel. Opinions are not facts, but most students don't question enough. I applaud the OP for thinking about it.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

I don't necklace either. I have long hose on the right bottle because it allows for more streamlined OOA situations. No regulators crossing sides, if diving with a diver in backmount they will be used to the reg coming from their right so having the right bottle with standard regulator orientation makes it easy that way. Left bottle has reversed 2nd stage with no hoses behind my head. In an OOA situation I donate whatever regulator is in my mouth, following the standard reason for donating your primary, you know that reg is currently working and is already cleared so no reason to purge or worry that something isn't working. You switch to the other 2nd stage and after everyone is happy after a few breaths, you switch regulators so the OOA diver has the long hose. Pull long hose out of retainers, and out you go. It is the way that makes sense to me in my head and to me that is all that matters. Regardless of which side you choose to put the long hose on, the OOA diver should always get the regulator in your mouth and then you swap after everything calms down. If you're a neck crosser, then a necklace may make sense and long hose would likely end up on left bottle. Beauty of this style of diving, everyone has their own opinions and most of us are open to changed and aren't in paradigm paralysis

My (limited!) experience with sidemount is from the UK where typical configuration is to have both regs on short hoses and clipped to a necklace.
Why would one benefit from having a long hose? If a diver is OOG, we can just hand over one cylinder. Not to mention that by having an independent system, the chances of a diver losing both cylinders are already pretty small. So isn't a long hose more of an annoyance?

Have you ever actually tried to exchange a 15L (or more) steel cylinder with someone? In a small cave or during a mid-water ascent. It doesn't work.

If you have a right-handed second stage attached to a long hose on the left bottle, think about how that hose is going to route with the OOA diver in front as you swim single file while exiting a cave. It makes more sense to have it on the right bottle.

Dave

I was taught side mount class on long hose right tank wrapped and clipped off and short hose on left tank wrapped and necklaced. I do alot of solo diving so I'm thinking about trying two short hoses clipped off for solo dives switching back to long hose on right tank for mixed team diving....has anyone expirienced any issue with two short hoses....jaw fatigue etc.?

It depends on how short short really is and how you route them. When I run two "short hoses" I still leave them on non-turret first stages and have them long enough to go down and back up again. 40" hoses are long enough for most people for that type of hose routing. No jaw fatigue that I have noticed and I do have TMJ. I don't personally like the turret first stages, so I don't use them very often, but you can get away with much shorter hoses going that route. If you are using a suicide strap you should probably run it over the back of your neck and then you would have to run it straight up or out the bottom of the turret I would imagine. I crossed over both hoses when I first started but went away from that fairly quickly because I didn't like the idea of having the hoses be longer than they needed to be uncontrolled.

If a diver is OOG, we can just hand over one cylinder.

That sounds both simple and foolproof. :sarcasm:

I run a long hose, 5' , on both tanks. Left tank on necklace and right tank clips. Both 2nds have 90 degree swivels and any excess hose bungees to tank. Hoses to the seconds come right up my chest, not around my neck. If some one goes OOA there is no interference or strangling involved if he panics. I am not going in any overheads or confined areas and I like how the hoses being controlled by the tank bungees lay where I want them. Clipping up and pre dive is a snap and making sure of the routing a 7' hose around your body is eliminated when for my dives it's unnecessary. However with sidemount it's all about what you like and do!! I feel there is no wrong configuration if it works for you!

I noticed on a video that Brian Kakuk hog loops the long hose and runs it to a necklace and just clips off the short hose when not in use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n5RMSLdwI8&feature=kp

i assume this is the video everyone is talking about ?? please note (especially for those who have not seen this) when discussing his set up that his long hose is on the left. not the right.

i am currently using this type set up to cut my teeth on. only difference is i am using two 5 foot hoses and i have the spgs running down on the front of each tank instead of up to the shoulder

that is the video being referenced. I don't use 5' hoses and prefer my buddies not to use them because they aren't long enough for a proper/safe cave exit. I'm 6'4", one of my buddies is 6'6", and most all of them are over 6', a 5 footer is just too short for us to make a safe exit without kicking each other in the head. Routing is done like this pic
http://www.sidemounting.com/Portals...idemount Cylinders For Exit Demonstration.jpg

Not very big, but you can see how the second wrap is done on the inside of the outer wrap a la paperclip.

http://www.deepseasherpa.com/images/sidemount_tankrig.jpg
Another alternative but I think it puts a bit too much stress on the hoses so I don't route like that. The key for both of these is to have two straps to hold both ends of the wrap to the tank

Back
Top Bottom