Just curious, which hose do you necklace and which do you clip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive and teach the same. 2 long hoses cuts out having to think about which one I'm breathing and which one I need to donate, etc.

GO through how you set it up if you do not mind?

Left reg for left, clip, etc?

IMHO the only time a long hose is NOT warrantied, is on extremely tight/long restriction cave diving where it would be no use and every diver is effectively diving completely solo.....

In EVERY other scenario i can think of, the Long Hose is hugely advantageous. I've never understood those that refer to SM and say Long hoses are for cave use, not open water.... and yet the same divers will put a BM twins (doubles) set on and configure it DIR with a Long Hose because that's what is "standard" and then do the same type of Open Water Dive that they've said it's not appropriate for SM on....

Each to their own of course, but please, why o why would you NOT use a Long hose.....

Though we preach the buddy system I approach every dive as a solo dive. I will not rely on a team mate to complete a dive. I will need to be completely self sufficient before I will make a dive.

In a complete SM team a 7ft hose is really excess cargo as one should never need to donate air unless some really bad luck has come about or really piss poor planning has been made before the dive.

Though we preach the buddy system I approach every dive as a solo dive.

I agree with this part, however that doesn't mean that you should plan to NOT be the best buddy you can be for a team mate out even possibly a complete stranger that happens to be at the same site.

Planning to be self reliant and a solo diver is about self rescue, it's about YOU. Carrying a long hose is about being ready to deal with a situation that another diver is in, after all THEY may not have planned the same as you, or be as experienced or may just be in full panic mode and not thinking or acting clearly.

The carriage of a long hose undoubtedly brings advantages in almost all situations, whilst being no disadvantage to you in almost all situations. I therefore see no reason not to carry one in almost all situations. As I see it, the potential advantages far out way the potential disadvantage, as such I believe it's the best choice.

Just my opinion of course, we're all entitled to our own.

I agree with this part, however that doesn't mean that you should plan to NOT be the best buddy you can be for a team mate out even possibly a complete stranger that happens to be at the same site.

Planning to be self reliant and a solo diver is about self rescue, it's about YOU. Carrying a long hose is about being ready to deal with a situation that another diver is in, after all THEY may not have planned the same as you, or be as experienced or may just be in full panic mode and not thinking or acting clearly.

The carriage of a long hose undoubtedly brings advantages in almost all situations, whilst being no disadvantage to you in almost all situations. I therefore see no reason not to carry one in almost all situations. As I see it, the potential advantages far out way the potential disadvantage, as such I believe it's the best choice.

Just my opinion of course, we're all entitled to our own.

You have an excellent view on things. Its good to be advantageous.

It can go many ways but in SM diving in a SM cave it really does no good. Like you said in an earlier post. One major restriction and you are solo diving. If you are solo diving it does not matter if you have 4 7ft hoses it is up to you.

Really a matter of perception and opinion.

Really a matter of perception and opinion.

100% agree

I think we're coming at this from different positions, you from tight restriction cave diving, me from open water and caves without tight restrictions, hence our differing views.

Both valid, in their intended environment.

I don't know. It doesn't take much of a snag to loose a second stage that's not routed behind your neck. I'll do it with stage/deco bottles, but not my primary SM regs.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom