Just finished my DM today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went swimming last night at the gym. In a straight line! But I dont think they'll lay down a tile stripe for me to follow at the lake :wink:

Valkary, the 400 and 800 yard swims are done in a lap pool the tired diver tow is in the lake. Richard

Where those are done is optional though and can be negotiated with your instructor...who may or may not be interested in negotiating. :wink:
Valkary, the 400 and 800 yard swims are done in a lap pool the tired diver tow is in the lake. Richard

I'd do my best to negotiate the 800 at the lake. Lap pools may have other people in your lane at the same time, and calculate how much time and energy you lose making multiple turns in the pool. Remember, you're being timed, so I'd want as straight a line as possible. We did ours at the lake but still only about a 50 yard stretch so we still had about 15 turns. I promise each turn costs you 3-5 seconds minimum by the time you get to the end. That extra minute of turns could be the difference in getting that extra point you might need.

What kind of time are we talking about here? How long do you have to swim this? I can knock out 800 doing laps in a pool in 12ish minutes in a warm-up when I am not trying very hard. Is it really that hard that all of these turns are going to hurt you??

I don't recall the exact time, but I bet someone will. :wink:

Basically, to pass your DM cert you have to have a certain number of points...at least this is the case for PADI. I did crossovers for the other agencies, so I can't speak to their requirements. Of course, you have to pass the exam also. Details, details...:D

Anyway, you accumulate points for doing certain activities such as creating a map of an underwater area, an emergency plan for another, the swimming requirements, etc. For the swimming you accumulate more points by finishing in a faster time. If you do well on the other activities you won't need to be Michael Phelps in the water for the swim tests. :D Personally, I didn't think any of it was that tough. It's more a matter of getting it done and doing a thorough job. If your skills and attitude are already good you won't have a problem.

What kind of time are we talking about here? How long do you have to swim this? I can knock out 800 doing laps in a pool in 12ish minutes in a warm-up when I am not trying very hard. Is it really that hard that all of these turns are going to hurt you??

Agreed. If you're already swimming and doing the 800 in 12 minutes, you'll be fine. I think the average is around 15-16 minutes.

(no equipment) Swim 450 yards nonstop, any stroke, within 10 minutes and then swim an additional 25 yards using any stroke.

Swim underwater 25 yard on one breath, no dive or push off.

(Mask, fins, snorkel) Snorkel swim 900 yards nonstop within 18 minutes.

There's others tasks as skin ditch and recovery, tired diver tow, survival swim (tread), buddy breathing (single source, no mask, swimming) scuba ditch and recovery, scuba bailout, and the list goes on.

Swim underwater 25 yard on one breath, no dive or push off.

Now that is going to suck. Do we get to use fins for this???

scubatexastony:
(Mask, fins, snorkel) Snorkel swim 900 yards nonstop within 18 minutes.

You can make tracks with fins.. can you use your arms?

Back
Top Bottom