Just found out I'm pregnant, how did you survive diving hiatus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DreamingofDives

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a recreational diver from South Florida, just turned 30 this past week and planned on completing my AOW cert for my birthday (finally!). Turns out, my husband and I are expecting a little one and I can't dive until after delivery.

Any advice on how to survive a diving hiatus? I just recently got back into diving a few years ago and it has brought a lot of joy into my life. I've taken up snorkeling but it's not the same. Any recommended books or course work to get into so that after baby is here I am still a competent diver?

Thanks!

Congrats! :D

If you've not done nitrox yet, you can do that class, as there is no diving. Get the AOW book and read it?

How about just keeping in shape by swimming? That helped me a lot over the winter.

Any advice on how to survive a diving hiatus?
I guess there'll be a lot of "Dreaming of Dives". :D :D :D

1) Congratulations ! Children are a gift from God ! ( have a name picked out ?)
Love and enjoy them until they reach 15 and become more intelligent than you
(We had 5 in 5 years to the day - all college grads doing well 3 doctors and 2 well educated house wives)

2) I would suggest that you might want to contact "Women's diving hall of fame "

3) There have been a number of books written on the subject of women in diving - I have a number in my library but it is currently blocked by other books I am using for research ($$$$)

4 As I recall Dr, Eugenie Clarke, dove until the second trimester - she authored two great books, both out of print " Lady with a spear" and "Lady and the sharks" -- As I recall she discusses diving while expecting in the latter book

Good Luck

SDM

Heck, nine months--if not a year--is the normal interval between dive trips for a lot of people.

Oddly this thread is of great interest to me. I'm trying to get my daughter (28) certified before we go to Grand Cayman next summer. However, she's speculating that she may be pregnant before then.

Interesting point that Sam made about Dr. Clarke diving until her second trimester. It makes sense though, especially if you were making relatively shallow dives. I'd pose the question to the folks at DAN to see what they have to say on the topic.

I would not take the chance with any scuba, but I would snorkel, take a class on underwater photography, Nitrox, read books etc. but I don't think the baby can off gass the way the adult does, just as different types of tissues off gas differently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom