Just found out I'm pregnant, how did you survive diving hiatus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more thing that may help keep the passion alive and your mind engaged. Pick a destination or two you've never visited, but would like to. Preferably somewhere that nearby modern medical care is available, and other resources so your family could travel as a whole (maybe take a mother or mother-in-law along to look after your baby part of the time). Grand Cayman, North Carolina, a number of southeastern Florida and Florida Keys areas come to mind.

Make a word processor document for that destination. In your computer's 'Notes' ap., dedicate one to links related to that destination. Do a Search on Scuba Board about it, and also look at Trip Advisor for Things to Do and hotel/resort reviews. Does Alert Dive Online or Undercurrent cover it?

No rush. You've got time. Read threads, reviews & online articles slowly off & on over time. Let the info. soak in. Take notes. Thinks about this option vs. that one. What would you do topside?

It's a way to learn of, choose, prepare for and, well, 'embrace' a future destination before you go. It's how I approached my trip to North Carolina and to California.

It's a way to tread water through a winter...maybe it could help you.

Richard.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I'm going to look into the nitrox class and the recommended books. Also going to invest in some freediving fins to take advantage of my close proximity to Key Largo! Hubby doesn't dive, I told him he has 9 months to finally get certified.:snorkel:

Last edited:
@Mermaid Stacy and I have been snorkeling Florida Bay.The first trip we saw one bull shark, a half a dozen nurse sharks and nigh on to 100 lobsters. We even caught a glimpse of the shy and elusive Sargeant Major. Today, we saw a seahorse, 3 spinner sharks, another half a dozen bull sharks (one was an 8 footer), caught a lionfish and were lucky enough to see even more Sargeant Majors. When will our luck run out? So, while you might not get to Scuba, there's lots to see with mask and fins and it's GREAT exercise.

two books:

Women Underwater
By Dr. Susan Bangasser and Jeannie Bear Sleeper
Deep star publishing co. 1982
(Both were active NAUI instructors)

When women dive

by the late Ella Jean Morgan and Erin O'Neal
Water sports Publishing Co 1992
(Both were very active LA Co UW instructors)

I suspect there have been other books relating to women and diving -- but these were the ones that lead the way and have been proven over the passage of time

All are members of the Women Divers Hall of Fame

I suspect you can locate copies on Amazon or through a used books merchant

Good luck
Sam Miller,111

Back
Top Bottom