Just Got My Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not too bad. When I did my AOW dive last August there were probably 75 divers scatteted around. There was a lot of weeds and moss suspended cutting visibility way down. It made the night navigation interesting.

Got back today from dive #4, and my Open Water Certification.
After many years of wanting to do get it, I just did.
I appreciated what all the Instructors and Assistant did, International Scuba (Carrollton, TX) makes a very serious process enjoyable.
Now time to go and enjoy my certificate.

Congrats to you. ..now you'll be hooked lol

Congrats.s! Since people have mentioned the Flower Gardens/Stetson Banks, even if for later reference, here are a couple of free access online articles on that. Be aware it's often done via a live-aboard boat called Fling Charters, usually 2 day but sometimes 3 day trips, winter trips often get cancelled from what I understand, water temp.s & to some extent species seen are seasonal, and it's fairly deep diving on a boat that's not going to provide a free guide service leading groups of newbies around. That's not a criticism; it's just important to calibrate expectations to the offering at hand.

Undercurrent Sept. 2014 - MV Fling, Flower Gardens, Texas - MV Fling, Flower Gardens, Texas: Undercurrent 09/2014

Alert Diver Online 2017 - Flower Garden Banks - Alert Diver | Flower Garden Banks

I'd like to hit it someday, but it's far enough from me I'd be inclined to fly, and to make it worthwhile, I'd probably want to do 2 trips; a 2 day & (preferably) a 3, maybe separated by a day at a hotel. The Fling trips are charters through 3rd party dive op.s.

Richard.

You didn't ask for dive recommendations but as the family just got certified in TX as well I'll chime in a bit. Windy point park has some super simple training platforms and a long shoreline to traverse. Lots of stuff at 32-38 feet. Then chains that are simple to follow down to two platforms and a sailboat at 62-69 feet when you're ready to stretch your wings. we didn't go to it, but there is also a navigation "field" at 50-52 feet. We went there Memorial Day and had a blast. Swarms of sunfish/perch. It isn't clear blue water but it was 14-16 feet visibility. That was a huge improvement over 288 Lake where we had 3-6 feet vis.

Welcome to the Board. I did an oil rig charter a few years ago with American Diving out of South Padre Island. Very good op, perhaps a bit pricey. Also dived the gulf side of the jetty there--not good viz and rugged current even on the non-channel side--rip current perhaps.

Well come to Scuba Addicts - here we have a twelve stage plan..... wait a moment, no one wants to quit:rofl3:

Get out diving, enjoy yourself and see the part of the world than 90% of folk never get to see.
I do feel lucky to see what's really going on under the sea! It's hard to explain to those who haven't tried diving, to understand how fabulous it is down under.

Back
Top Bottom