Just got my new Seaskin Nova -- The Good and the Ehhhhh...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're needed over in the Shearwater thread.

What thread? I'm ready for a fight.. I like SW! Lol..

@stretchthepenn I'm a little confused why when people make mistakes (we all do) they don't just own up to it? I ordered my suit with the velcro warm neck.. mistake. Everyone said don't do it, I did.. I have learned to adapt and live with it. 100% on me.

I'm just not sure Seaskin is responsible for describing in detail about wrist seals and P valves if they're made by another company and freely available online? No offense.. I was fine with you venting, but demanding reimbursement for ignorance is crossing the line.

Do you also demand a discount at the resturaunt if something is slightly off even though you ordered it that way?

Don't be like that, Seaskin is a great company.. there are lots of us that wouldn't be able to afford nice drysuits if it wasn't for them (especially me).

Cheers...

Nobody's been hammering the OP for having made a mistake. He's being hammered for unfairly blaming seaskin for his mistakes.

He randomly ordered stuff without doing any research and blames seaskin, than he used gear without looking into how it works for two minutes and also blames seaskin for that. And now he writes them emails complaining and wants money back... I mean, c'mon, really?

If the people at seaskin could have read his mind, they probably would have been happy to help... now they're getting emails from a 'communications professor' who wants money back because he was too lazy to do any research.
He wrote 'Thanks, Seaskin' for peeing in his suit. WTF?

BS like this should be called out. I'm happy to defend a good company that is getting bashed on the internet for no reason.
It’s possible to defend a good company without hammering your knowledge over someone’s mistake.

It’s possible to defend a good company without hammering your knowledge over someone’s mistake.
Don't know what you mean. IMHO it's not about knowledge or diving even.
I've also bought stuff (dive stuff and other stuff) online that ended up not being what I wanted... it sucks, I get that, but it never crossed my mind to complain about the online store, let alone asking them for some of my money back.
As I said, the same 'gripes' he would have had with any other suit and p-valve. This is not even related to seaskin.
I just think it's an unfair review. Didn't annoy me that much until he started with the 'I'm a professor, I teach that stuff, I send them a sternly written letter, want my money back and it's your fault that I peed my pants' stuff.

Didn't annoy me that much until he started with the 'I'm a professor, I teach that stuff, I send them a sternly written letter, want my money back and it's your fault that I peed my pants' stuff.
Agreed 100%.

Didn't annoy me that much until he started with the 'I'm a professor, I teach that stuff, I send them a sternly written letter, want my money back and it's your fault that I peed my pants' stuff.
It didn't "annoy" me enough to reply to it, though. What would it add to the discussion?

Maybe the OP will be kind enough to let us know if his approach worked with Seaskin. If not, that's fine with me, too.

What would it add to the discussion?
You probaby wouldn't have added anything. Like with this post.

The SW thread seem to be about a minor flaw with the product. The customer can complain about that. It's nitpicky... so what? SW is internationally knows business that's owned by an investment group, AFAIK.

This thread is somebody is giving a bad review for product that has NOTHING wrong with it. Also, Sk is basically a mum and pop shop that being sh!t on by a person who can't own up to their own actions.

Those two things are not alike in any way.

Maybe the OP will be kind enough to let us know if his approach worked with Seaskin. If not, that's fine with me, too.
Here is your update. SK felt super, super sorry for all the trouble they made the American professer go through, will spend 10 grand to get a new website up ASAP and send OP a grand they were 'shamed' out of by the 'sternly worded' email.
They are also in the process of writing a manual, specifically for American professors. Here is the full manual: Turn knob counterclockwise (like every valve) to open valve and rinse with water after use.

A few years ago, I bought a used Seaskin Nova drysuit. The original owner was a beanpole (he's probably on SB somewhere, under a username I don't know) who shed about 50 pounds and needed to shed the drysuit because it didn't fit him anymore. I bought the thing and simply adored it. However, I too have changed shape (albeit in the opposite direction) in the intervening time, so back in March, I ordered myself a new, custom Seaskin Nova. It arrived two weeks ago, and finally I got to try it out this past Monday.

The Good: Pretty much everything. My new suit matches the old one in quality, and it fits beautifully. It's comfy, dry, and so on. Big thumbs-up.

The Ehhhhh...: I've got a few gripes.
  • Seaskin doesn't fold over and sew down the suspenders' ends, so they're prone to slithering out of the quick-release buckles.

• Seaskin doesn't offer the quick-release hose end for p-valves; I'mma have to order that separately from someone else.

• Seaskin's website has poor information design, which led me to making an error while ordering. I should've ordered the Si-Tech Oval Cuff Rings so I could use my Ultima dryglove system (and try out the Rolock 90 system that I bought but haven't yet tried), but there's NOTHING on the customization pages to indicate compatibility issues, and there's no link to the relevant information. Instead, you've gotta take a different navigation path entirely and drill down four levels (Home > Drysuit Apparel and Accessories > Dry Glove Systems > Rolock Dry Glove System > Rolock 90 kit alone NO seals PU rings or Gloves) to discover that Rolocks only fit the Si-Tech oval rings. Thus, I got bamboozled and ordered the old-style Si-Tech Docking System 60910, with the round cuffs, and I can't use either of my dryglove systems on those. I'mma have to get the suit altered and the oval cuffs retrofitted.

• Seaskin didn't send any documentation with the Light Monkey Tinkle p-valve. Thus, I thought that since it's a balanced valve, it was ready to go; I had no idea that I had to manually open the valve in order to pee. So I was underwater and this happened: "Ohhhh yeahhhh...sweet relief... Um, wait a minute. What the hell? Back pressure? Ow! That hurts. Oh, man...this valve sucks. And...oh, no. No. No. Noooooo. Oh, gawd. It happened." Yes, I pissed myself. Thanks, Seaskin.
OP, did you get response from Seaskin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom