Just got my OW. Not stopping there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

52brandon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm still in the Bahamas. Just got my OW cert like 8 hours ago. And as I was printing the temporary card, I was already asking about the AOW dives. I hope to have my AOW classes completed by summer. I've been getting my gear put together. I turned 29 last week. By 30 I hope to have a full set of gear and my AOW. I've been reading these boards for a few months now. I joined a few weeks ago. I won't be posting everyday, but I will be reading it everyday. I've learned a lot already and expect to continue to do so. Thanks everybody.

Congratulations! It's a fun addiction, enjoy it!

Hopefully you'll be able to find some places to dive locally when you get back home!

i second what kelemvor says

No need to be in a rush. Do get you aow ans nitrox in the next year. savour things for a year or so and then move on.
Welcome to the board, as you have noticed there is an unending wealth of info here.

I've definitely noticed that. That's exactly my plan too. The deep and nav dives are 2 required of the 5, my 3rd will be enriched air, 4th dry suit, and 5th altitude. That's my plan at least. I live in Phoenix. So my dive options will likely be fairly limited locally. I figure I'd learn the dry suit and then dive somewhere like CO in the Rockies where it'll be high altitude and likely require a dry suit as well. Then I will finish the nitrox cert. It is my top priority specialty cert as it seems to have the most upside.

It's not a horrible drive down to Puerto Penasco, and diving in the Sea of Cortez is fabulous. I know some Phoenix folks also make trips over to the LA area, and although the water is a bit colder, it's well worth the effort.

Then I will finish the nitrox cert. It is my top priority specialty cert as it seems to have the most upside.

Do you actually get a nitrox card when doing a nitrox dive as part of your AOW? What agency are you training with?

It's not a horrible drive down to Puerto Penasco, and diving in the Sea of Cortez is fabulous. I know some Phoenix folks also make trips over to the LA area, and although the water is a bit colder, it's well worth the effort.
I'm from Huntington Beach. I'm well used to the water out there. I've been diving in Tulum and Cozumel already. They were beautiful
Do you actually get a nitrox card when doing a nitrox dive as part of your AOW? What agency are you training with?
no. But the nitrox AOW class counts toward the nitrox card. So I figure it's a start on 2 important paths for me. 2 birds one stone lol

welcome to the underwater world 52brandon! it is an addiction for sure. Just enjoy and take it slow. The best cure for the diving addiction is to dive. I'm spoiled here in Florida and dive just about every week. According to my wife it is just about every day!

When you get back to Arizona, go dive in Lake Havasu and check out my friend Joel there at Tech Diving Limited. They are an outstanding place for more advanced training too.

I think it's great you are looking ahead to your next certification level. But always remember what makes you a better diver is diving- so go do some diving. Practice and expand you skills, and just enjoy the experience of being under the water, whether in balmy seas or cold reservoirs, or a warm Arizona lake. Get some dives in and then come summer you will be ready for AOW for sure. I also like that you want to get your equipment. Not only is it more reliable and comfortable and constant than switching around rental gear, the investment will lead you to be a more active diver. So stick with your plan, and have a great lifetime of diving!
DivemasterDennis

no. But the nitrox AOW class counts toward the nitrox card. So I figure it's a start on 2 important paths for me. 2 birds one stone lol

You might see if your shop can combine classes- ours does an AOW with nitrox + dry suit add on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom