Just got this compressor, now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The priority valve is attached to the Triplex filter. Where can we put the gauge? What should the pressure be set to.

I can't help you with exactly where to install the gauge. Anywhere the gauge will see the pressure in the filters should be OK.

What pressure? That's a matter of some debate. Higher pressures will increase the dwell time, that's a good thing, makes your filters more efficient Higher pressures will also require your compressor to pump to at least this higher pressure all the time.

Pressures of 1800 - 3000 are common.

I set mine to 3000.

Tobin

The priority valve is attached to the Triplex filter. Where can we put the gauge? What should the pressure be set to.
Put your gage on the inlet of the filter. Most pressure maintaining valves are in the 1500 to 2000 psi range. Any higher and your compressor is working it's hardest all the time and the majority of compressor wear comes in the last 10% of pressure. Any lower and the PMV really isn't doing anything for you.

Put your gage on the inlet of the filter. Most pressure maintaining valves are in the 1500 to 2000 psi range. Any higher and your compressor is working it's hardest all the time and the majority of compressor wear comes in the last 10% of pressure. Any lower and the PMV really isn't doing anything for you.

I think I know how to do that, and it is only to test the setting on the valve then it can be removed, right.

I think I know how to do that, and it is only to test the setting on the valve then it can be removed, right.

That is really up to you. Some systems have indication everywhere ... some don't. You can build yours however you want it.

Sure if you want to. I like to have a gauge that tells me what the filter pressure is. It will tell you if you have a leak. It's best to not let the filters return to ambient pressure.

Tobin

Sure if you want to. I like to have a gauge that tells me what the filter pressure is. It will tell you if you have a leak. It's best to not let the filters return to ambient pressure.

Tobin

ok, could it also be mounted on one of the plug ports on the base of the Triplex that are not used?

Man ... you are making this harder than it should be. Anywhere between the last stage of the compressor and the PMV will give you upstream pressure.

Just for everyone's information, after running the compressor without the fill whip attached and noticing that air began flowing immediately, we took apart and inspected the back pressure valve. Everything was in working order but we determined that the valve was set way to low (basically it was not doing anything). We removed the unloader valve temporarily in order to put a pressure gauge in the circuit before the Triplex. With the pressure gauge, we set the back pressure valve to about 1500-1800 psi.

Other things we learned about getting an older (probably neglected) compressor running:

Every fitting with Teflon tape needed to be removed and re-seated with new Teflon tape. Every single one of them leaked.

Replace all the O-rings. We did some that were recommended but still have leaks in others that we will now replace.

Unloading pressure can blow up a plastic gallon jug if the vent holes aren't big enough!

Remember ... teflon tape is only for pipe fittings. Tapered end fittings and tube fittings are compression and NO teflon goes there. And make sure that whey you wrap, you don't have it so close to the end of the fitting that pieces can break off and get into your system.

Remember ... teflon tape is only for pipe fittings. Tapered end fittings and tube fittings are compression and NO teflon goes there. And make sure that whey you wrap, you don't have it so close to the end of the fitting that pieces can break off and get into your system.

Yep, we know the diffrance between those two but the guy before us didn't, I think he thought "if it leaks just put more tape on and tightn it down" that may be why one of the SS fittings was cracked!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom