JVC Picsio and FlipHD Ultra video users...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently purchased a Picsio GC-WP10 w/ ikelite housing and wide angle ikelite wet lens.

Someone mentioned the macro function, where is this function?? I haven't seen it? Is there actually a menu selection for it? Or does it just zoom and focus closely?

Congrats on your new purchase! The Picsio I was referring to last year was the GZ-FM1 or whatever they called it. The newer late-2010/2011 model is the GC-WP10. A completely different camera.

The GZ-FM1 had a macro switch that allowed the lens to focus at about 1" or so from the subject, clearly, when the switch was set. When it was not set, you needed about 2 1/2 to 3' in order to get focus. It wasn't a macro LENS, per se.

That said, I liked what I saw in the WP10 but noticed it didn't have an obvious macro switch/feature.

What's interesting is I sold my Ikelite and JVC rigs, but need one now for recording class video so I'll start researching what's out there, but may settle on the WP10.

The other questions I can't answer, I don't have experience with the rig.

Congrats on your new purchase! The Picsio I was referring to last year was the GZ-FM1 or whatever they called it. The newer late-2010/2011 model is the GC-WP10. A completely different camera.

The GZ-FM1 had a macro switch that allowed the lens to focus at about 1" or so from the subject, clearly, when the switch was set. When it was not set, you needed about 2 1/2 to 3' in order to get focus. It wasn't a macro LENS, per se.

That said, I liked what I saw in the WP10 but noticed it didn't have an obvious macro switch/feature.

What's interesting is I sold my Ikelite and JVC rigs, but need one now for recording class video so I'll start researching what's out there, but may settle on the WP10.

The other questions I can't answer, I don't have experience with the rig.

Hopefully I'll be able too give you a comprehensive review of the WP10, and vid samples. So back to the SDHC cards... Aren't they an upgrade from the SD cards? If so, I'm not sure why they would backstep on the WP10, when the older model (yours) would take the high capacities. Thanks for the reply!

In the users guide it says the cam takes "SD" cards... not "SDHC" Do SDHC cards work for this cam? I tried a 8gb SDHC and got a error card message. When I try this card in my nikon...it's fine. I then tried a SDHC 4gb card... and it seems to work. Is it limited on size? I know the guide says SD up to 64gb.
It takes all 3 types - from the main webpage:
SD/SDHC/SDXC Card Slot
Scroll down to Approximate Video Recording times here:
JVC PICSIO SPECIFICATIONS GC-WP10 GC-FM2

It's possible your problem is the Class (speed) of the card used. With a conventional format AVCHD camcorder like a Canon - Class 4 cards are required at a minimum. Also I've read - but never verified - that with some older designs Class 10 cards may be too fast so incompatible also. Since yours takes SDXC cards also, I doubt this would be a problem.

It takes all 3 types - from the main webpage:
Scroll down to Approximate Video Recording times here:
JVC PICSIO SPECIFICATIONS GC-WP10 GC-FM2

It's possible your problem is the Class (speed) of the card used. With a conventional format AVCHD camcorder like a Canon - Class 4 cards are required at a minimum. Also I've read - but never verified - that with some older designs Class 10 cards may be too fast so incompatible also. Since yours takes SDXC cards also, I doubt this would be a problem.

Thanks for the link. I think I may be trying to use a un-supported card. It says these are supported, Panasonic, Toshiba, SanDisk, ATP. I'm trying to use a 8gb PNY. Tonight I'll try a 8gb SanDisk and also check the class.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I think I may be trying to use a un-supported card. It says these are supported, Panasonic, Toshiba, SanDisk, ATP. I'm trying to use a 8gb PNY. Tonight I'll try a 8gb SanDisk and also check the class.

I've used PNY in my Picsio without problems also Transend and Centon all SDHC all class 4 or better. Did get a "hang up" problem with a class 4 card and had to turn off and on to fix until I went to higher class chip.

anyone have feedback on these new camera's with ikelite housing?

i know they are advertised as waterproof to 10 feet. but I would use it much deeper.

As I did with the discontinued Zi8 last year

shot Zi8 and ikelite housing Belize depth 90 feet

Back
Top Bottom