JVC Picsio and FlipHD Ultra video users...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is my Cozumel Video filmed with JVC Picsio, Ikelite housing, red filter and 1 ProV8 LED:

YouTube - Cozumel Diving HD

I Am happy with the quality of video for the money i spent. The problem with the camera is that you have to hold it very very still. Otherwise you will get really shaky video. This can be challenging in a strong current.. Also it needs Lots of light to get good shots. I did a swim through and caves that did not look good on video even with the Pro V8 LED. One other thing the battery is not replaceable, for me it was not a issue because I am getting around 50 minutes of 720p video before the battery dies. This is more than enough to do 2 boat dives. All Lithium Ion batteries will eventually loose there charge, so I will just buy another picsio when it does. At $90 its not that bad. Most of my money went to the light, housing, and SDHC cards anyways.

In summery:I am sure a 3 thousand dollar camera would take better film but for $600 or so i got everything I needed to start shooting HD underwater and i am happy with the Camera.

I have a lot of Flip Ultra HD videos up on my YouTube page; should be http://www.YouTube.com/d5kenn. I always use it in an ikelite housing and with a wide angle lens, with no lights or color filter. I've noticed that these little camcorders don't do very well in low light, and if you dive in non-tropical waters, you lose enough light just being underwater where the filter hurts more than it helps.

I've done tests with and without the wide angle lens abovewater. I believe the flip without wide able has a 35mm equivalent of a 45mm lens, and with a w-20 or inon uwl-100 it's closer to 25mm or so. The difference is magnified underwater, to the point where I think the flip is very hard to use in less than stellar viz without a wide angle lens unless you exclusively shoot single-subject closeups. It also doesn't focus close enough for macro work without a macro attachment lens.

Still, it works for me. I recently tried the Flip for a night dive using only dive lights for illumination (no video lights or reflectors) and was pleasantly surprised by the results.

I Am happy with the quality of video for the money i spent. The problem with the camera is that you have to hold it very very still. Otherwise you will get really shaky video. This can be challenging in a strong current..

You can hold one hand on the arm near the bast of the light and then the other hand in the lower opposite corner of the housing and it helps a lot with keep stiller shots (or you can get the tray that allows you to use two lights) and put a few beads on the other side if no second light, and use it as two handles would work. Using this trick I got some decent stiller shots from my Flip and JVC Picsio alike. Not perfect by any means, but much better that what I believe your experiencing, is what I experienced.

You can see the difference between my Shaws video (my first ever, but on a Flip) and the Heisler Park night video (my 5th but on the Piscio).

YouTube - leabre's Channel

But there's another component to this: my buoyancy is perfectly dialed in and not in need of adjustments. That's also quite important, but even so, holding but the base with both hands even with great buoyancy will produce shaky video without a better place to put hands for stablizing it.

That's a good idea about getting a 2nd tray for a handle even if i don't have a 2nd light.... I will probably order one...nice night video too! Thanks

Could you use a DS-125 in the modelling light mode and get descent results?
Probably not.

Most video lights have a minimum of 500 lumens - often you use two - 1000+ lumen lights paired are becoming more typical.

For comparison a pretty bright dive light like a UK C4 eLED is 205 lumens. The beam pattern is different but it will give you an idea of the output needed.

I am glad I found this thread. Are you aware that the Flip UltraHD (3rd generation - Late 2010 build?) now claims to have image stabilization? I have one and am desperate to take it under with me this summer..... Need to seek out a case/tray and lighting.....

I recently purchased a Picsio GC-WP10 w/ ikelite housing and wide angle ikelite wet lens. I'll be taking it on it's maiden voyage to Roatan next week. I have a couple questions and thoughts that maybe folks have answers too. First off...thanks for the great thread!

In the users guide it says the cam takes "SD" cards... not "SDHC" Do SDHC cards work for this cam? I tried a 8gb SDHC and got a error card message. When I try this card in my nikon...it's fine. I then tried a SDHC 4gb card... and it seems to work. Is it limited on size? I know the guide says SD up to 64gb.

For stability... I'm hoping my rig will work. I have it mounted on my DSLR housing on top. Needless to say it's a heavy and sturdy rig.

As far as lighting, with the DSLR...2 strobes and arms, it's just tough to add a light. So... for better or worse I'll be using either the ikelite blue water cc filter, or my magic filter gels inside the housing. I've heard from others that the magic filter is superior in it's performance, but of course.... once in the housing, you're stuck with it. I do have a powerful divelight mounted to one of my strobe arms...will it help?? I'm not holding my breath...LOL.

Someone mentioned the macro function, where is this function?? I haven't seen it? Is there actually a menu selection for it? Or does it just zoom and focus closely?

Thanks for the support!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom