JVC Picsio and FlipHD Ultra video users...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was looking at the Ikelite housing for the Kodak Zi8 and saw that it does come with a filter for blue water which is red. Ikelite also has a filter for green water which is pink but I would have to purchase that separetly. Is there really a difference?

Was looking at the Ikelite housing for the Kodak Zi8 and saw that it does come with a filter for blue water which is red. Ikelite also has a filter for green water which is pink but I would have to purchase that separetly. Is there really a difference?

I have used my red filter for several years in all water conditions, both with my old SD camcorder and now with my new HD. I see no need to have 2 filters with me. Plus you can always do color correction in editing with your software if color is off slightly. I found that I needed to do this on some videos when water was green and the red filter just couldn't correct it enough. :shocked2: (I have done several dives in lime green water, both ocean and fresh water)

robin:D

My experience with my old Digital8 rig (SD) was that stills captured from video were vastly inferior to those that were done with the snapshot function. Of course, that was a tape camera (for vid) with memory stick for photo - really two different systems in one. Maybe it's different for the Zi8.

Pics using the snapshot function are 5 to 8 MP (depending on the camera), what is the resolution on each frame of the video (which I believe is what you are essentially "capturing" when taking a still off the video frame)?

I agree with you... still captures from video are not as good as still shots from a still camera, ever. I really don't get the need for a camera or camcorder to do both. I started shooting video to get away from still. :wink:

I just checked out the JVC Picsio and the Kodak Zi8 at the local Bestbuy. One thing I immediately noticed was that on the widest angle view, the Picsio had a significantly wider field than the Kodak. The Kodak screen, however, was much easier to see - brighter and somehow clearer.

It is true that the Picsio has a somewhat "flimsier" feel than the Flip or Zi8, but it did not seem awful to hold. The buttons don't give a lot of tactile feedback, but seem workable. All in all it made me opt for the Picsio, especially given the price point difference.

So...yesterday I bought the Picsio as a refurb from Amazon for $97. Next stop is housing and lights!

If I decide to go with the Kodak Zi8 will adding a macro lens allow me to get the closeups even though the camera wouldnt be set in "macro mode"?

If I decide to go with the Kodak Zi8 will adding a macro lens allow me to get the closeups even though the camera wouldnt be set in "macro mode"?

Yes but I do not know whether you can change the lens under water. The Macro mode of the JVC is more of a "allow you to get within 1"" but doesn't provide magnificaiton for really small critters.

A macro lens on the other hand, doesn't just let you get close, it magnifies, so you can film really small critters.

Yes but I do not know whether you can change the lens under water. The Macro mode of the JVC is more of a "allow you to get within 1"" but doesn't provide magnificaiton for really small critters.

A macro lens on the other hand, doesn't just let you get close, it magnifies, so you can film really small critters.

According to Ikelite the add on lens can be changed underwater with the 46mm threaded port.

So does this mean a macro lens would be more favorable for shooting small close ups?

Depends on the closeup. If you are trying to get up close and personal with an aneneme, fish, crab, whatever, something a large, I'd just use an in-camera macro. A macro lens, for something tiny, like a the eyeball of a fish crab, 1/4" slug or grain of sand.

Robin I posted a video i took with a JVC and a red filter. I don't know how to link it to this post. Its in underwater video JVC Red Filter. Let me know if you can not find it. You may find it by looking on my profile page. It looks grainy on here. It was my first time to video underwater. I like the JVC camera, but it is the only video camera that i have used. I was using a wide angle lens.

I have taken a look at the video that i posted. It looks really bad on the small screen. It also keeps stopping before it gets to the end. I guess it is buffering. It looks much better on a large screen. I can't even tell what is in the video on here. LOL It looks like a blur flying buy. I am sorry that i couldn't help you. I will look through my videos and see if i can find one that will download better. The video on here is not what the quality looks like.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom