JVC Picsio and FlipHD Ultra video users...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No it is not compatible with their other lighting, near as I can figure out. I thought about maybe drilling an taping the bracket to take a TP-01 dovetail, then a Flex arm and you'd have a YS mount for other lighting, like the excellent Fix LED1000DX lights, for 1000lumins each.

Jack

Thanks, Everyone. I've decided not to get into video, at least not now. For 1 I'm afraid I wouldn't be happy with the quality of the JVC or Flip results when I'm used to seeing the quality like Robin showed above. It would more than likely soon need to be replaced with a better, more expensive system. Another is I really don't have the time to spend on the editing, and I know that's a huge part of the final result.

I think I was liking the idea of such a small video setup instead of actually having one and all the pros and cons that go along with it all. As I researched both cameras last night I kept finding more and more things that had to be considered. Besides, as ya'll may remember I have enough still equipment to haul around, thanks for saving me $$!!!

So thanks so much for your honest opinions and experiences, I truly appreciate it!

Look at what I shot in Calif last Sept with my Canon HG21:
[vimeo]6505373[/vimeo]
this was a low light situation and 40-60' vis, I was NOT using lights, just the red filter and no color correction done in editing. This is the true color recorded by the camcorder.

Now compare what the Flip and JVC camcorders recorded in laebre's videos.

Ikelite ships a red filter with both the Flip and the JVC housings but my recordings to not make use of the filter. Perhaps I should go back and use natural lighting with a filter to see what difference it makes. Keep this in mind, it's not apples to apples but I will agree that the quality is going to be much better with a higher-end camera. For point and shoot and someone who doesn't take video too seriously the Flip and JVC will serve well.

Ikelite ships a red filter with both the Flip and the JVC housings but my recordings to not make use of the filter. Perhaps I should go back and use natural lighting with a filter to see what difference it makes. Keep this in mind, it's not apples to apples but I will agree that the quality is going to be much better with a higher-end camera. For point and shoot and someone who doesn't take video too seriously the Flip and JVC will serve well.

the clarity issue has nothing to do with the red filter, it has to do with the quality of lens and the digital software inside the camcorder. The whole point I was trying to make is that there is going to be a difference. I am not putting them down, I do feel there is a real market for both of these camcorders.

If you watch the video demos on Ikelite's website for both the FlipHD and JVC Picsio, you will see pretty nice underwater footage and no bleeding images. Since they were shot in very clear water (Caymans and Bahamas) and by experienced videographers, I was looking for real videos by users here on SB just to see the difference.

robin:D

This posting has been very helpful so thank you to all.

I have seriously been looking at both these cameras but am in no hurry. So since I'm in no rush I have really been considering the Kodak Zi8 with the Ikelite housing and light(s). So any feedback or thoughts on the Kodak would be great. Also with whichever camera I choose I was strongly considering the Ikelite lighting setup as well, perhaps the dual lights. Also was wondering about adding a wide angle lens to this setup. Any feedback or thougts on any of those options? Will the dual light make enough of a difference? Will the wide angle lens really improve the shots with these small cameras? I noticed on the sample videos on Ikelites site that they were shot with the light and wide angle lens.

I mainly dive the cold green waters of the North Atlantic. Not looking for anything to special as far as quality, just want to make some videos to share with friends and family.

I also have issues with the light for these small compact camcorders. It is better than nothing on night dives, but it definitely produces a hotspot right in the middle. If I were to buy one of these, I probably would skip this light. IKELITE Pro-V8 LED Video Light I wish some users would post videos of either camcorder's performance using just the red filter instead of the light!!!

I am not sure about the wide angle lens yet as every video I have seen underwater is using the wide angle.

I have the other Ikelite lighting system for my camcorder, the ProVideo Lite 3 Ikelite Pro Video-Lite 3. This is way too much for that small rig but I thought I would give you a light/color comparison.
This dive was deep, 80-90' and dark as it was at 7:30am in Calif. I knew it was like a night dive down there so I used the light. Underwater footage is in middle of video:
[vimeo]6531546[/vimeo]

Nice video Robin.

Have you dove Scuba Club Cozumel before ?

thanks Ron. Yes we were at SCC last year in March but I was without underwater video rig. So this will be my first trip there doing HD. (this is our 7th trip to Cozumel)
I am really looking forward to shooting video in Cozumel as all my previous trips I was shooting still camera. :wink:

We are actually thinking about getting one of these small camcorders and housings as a secondary video rig, one Ron can clip on his BC or we can use topside on the boat, etc. I think it would be nice to shoot some video there, with each system, and then do comparison videos.

I've been to Coz about 5 times, but have not since the big hurricane. Was wondering how the reefs compared to pre-hurricane. I also hear SCC has a house reef shore dive ? Was wondering if that was any good or if you have to be careful with the currents. I really like the convenience of a good house reef like Cocoview.

I've been to Coz about 5 times, but have not since the big hurricane. Was wondering how the reefs compared to pre-hurricane. I also hear SCC has a house reef shore dive ? Was wondering if that was any good or if you have to be careful with the currents. I really like the convenience of a good house reef like Cocoview.

You aren't going to find a better house reef than CocoView! SCC house reef is just rubble with fish and very shallow. Good for a novice or people who like macro. I'll be shooting a video of the house reef when I am there. :D

Back
Top Bottom