Kayak diving tips and tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sh@rkW@tcher

supreme yak diver in charge
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi guys, I think we need a thread for yak diving tips and tricks. There are a lot of people that are interested in yak diving, and imparting the tips and tricks learned thru exerience would certainly help them. I'll take some pics of mine tonite to include. My yak has had a few modifications to it to make it more "diver friendly".

Looking at Gibbon's kayak, I noticed straps installed in the tank well. I'm not sure where I read it, but somewhere I read to get rid of the bungie's that come with the kayak and intall straps. It will hold the tank and gear a lot better.

Looking at Gibbon's kayak and my Prowler, I don't see a way of securely fastening the straps to the kayak. When I installed my rod holder, my local kayak shop gave me some rivets to fastenin my rod holders. How do you fasten additional stuff to the kayak?

Al

I use pop rivets and a liberal amount of silicone sealant. Put the silicone on the item to be installed, the mating surface, and fill the pop rivet with it. Makes an easy watertight mount. Just make sure its where ya want it before ya drill holes, they are a pain to fill.

Al, I purchased four straps from Kayak Jeff...they have brass clips that clip to the sides of the kayak and clip buckles (like BC strap buckles) in the center. I use two fore and two aft. No drilling involved! No way that I could ever use that bungee, I'm not strong enough! However, I leave the bungee on, I just undo it and let it drift to the bottom, because it's useful when we are just paddling around for holding cooler etc.

One of the guys in Kayuba was using the bungee for a while until he saw my straps...he's since gotten a set and loves them. They are good too because you can run them through the arm straps of your BC.

Al, I purchased four straps from Kayak Jeff...they have brass clips that clip to the sides of the kayak and clip buckles (like BC strap buckles) in the center. I use two fore and two aft. No drilling involved! No way that I could ever use that bungee, I'm not strong enough! However, I leave the bungee on, I just undo it and let it drift to the bottom, because it's useful when we are just paddling around for holding cooler etc.

One of the guys in Kayuba was using the bungee for a while until he saw my straps...he's since gotten a set and loves them. They are good too because you can run them through the arm straps of your BC.

I'll have to make it down there some day and visit Kayak Jeff.

Looks like it's going to be too bumpy this weekend for kayaking. Forecast is 2-4 on Saturday... at least that's what I'm seeing...

I use pop rivets and a liberal amount of silicone sealant. Put the silicone on the item to be installed, the mating surface, and fill the pop rivet with it. Makes an easy watertight mount. Just make sure its where ya want it before ya drill holes, they are a pain to fill.

That's exactly how installed my rod holders. I was curious if there was another way, because I have all these attachments screwed into my kayak with no way of getting behind it and adding a nut & washer.

Pop rivets are the answer.

Al

Al, I hear ya on the weather, in fact I told my usual kayuba dude that I didn't even want to plan for it and then get blown out...I missed cycling last Saturday because of doing that.

Remind me this weekend and I'll take a picture of the straps and how I fasten them to my yak. I'll also let you know the brand name of the straps; you may be able to get them closer to you. If not, I'll bet Jeff would ship them to you.

Someone in another thread told me about this site. It's geared toward fishing, but has a lot of great ideas in the forums for outfitting kayaks with things like gps/fishfinders, sails, and a whole lot of other stuff.

For those in the local area (between Fort Myers and Sarasota) Laishley Marine in Punta Gorda has an awesome kayak shop run by Benjamin Turpin. He has probably forgotten more about kayaks than most people know about them and he has helped me out with small items like those plastic rivets (he sells them for 25 cents apiece or by the bag) as well as doing installation work. His rates are very reasonable too. Here is his website and this is his email.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom