Kayak diving tips and tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al, I hear ya on the weather, in fact I told my usual kayuba dude that I didn't even want to plan for it and then get blown out...I missed cycling last Saturday because of doing that.

Remind me this weekend and I'll take a picture of the straps and how I fasten them to my yak. I'll also let you know the brand name of the straps; you may be able to get them closer to you. If not, I'll bet Jeff would ship them to you.

Are you sure you don't want to do Blue Heron Bridge? High tide is at 9:40.

Yes! Pictures will help me visualize what you have.

I thought I saw a new kayak store in Melbourne last week. I noticed kayaks while I was driving down US1... I'll have to check the place out...

My yak is an inexpensive Pelican tandem, so to make it more suited for diving, I made a net with bungee cord around the periphery, and 6 anchor points and nylon clips to attach it. After I set up my gear I stow it forward and secure the net. I have intentionally rolled my yak testing this netting, and everything stayed secure. For me, constructing the net was easy, since my dad used to be a shrimper, but directions for making nettting can be found in many books on rigging, along with web sites on knots and rigging.

DSCF2175.jpg

How do I get ahold of kayak jeff for some of these straps?

Al, I purchased four straps from Kayak Jeff...they have brass clips that clip to the sides of the kayak and clip buckles (like BC strap buckles) in the center. I use two fore and two aft. No drilling involved! No way that I could ever use that bungee, I'm not strong enough! However, I leave the bungee on, I just undo it and let it drift to the bottom, because it's useful when we are just paddling around for holding cooler etc.

One of the guys in Kayuba was using the bungee for a while until he saw my straps...he's since gotten a set and loves them. They are good too because you can run them through the arm straps of your BC.

How do I get ahold of kayak jeff for a set of these straps?

I'm sorry, I haven't logged in here in a few days...here is Kayak Jeff!

I was curious if there was another way, because I have all these attachments screwed into my kayak with no way of getting behind it and adding a nut & washer.

Al

They do, its called a rivet nut and nut insert.

After many many months of research I bought a Hobie Adventure Island:D I kind of like the idea that if there is no wind or lack of I can use it like a bike out to where ever I want to go. Greg wants to use it for spearing about 2 miles off shore. right now he has been swimming out 1 mile spearing and swimming back in :shakehead: to me that's alot to just get a fish or two plus I don't like the idea he has to fend off the sharks on the way back in some of the times. I am hoping to get use to it by this summer so I can take out to the reefs close by:D

I hope I have made a good choice it would be a shame if I cannot do what I want it to Dive, Spear, Play from it. The boy's want to hang out on the pontoons and ride the waves:rofl3: :shakehead: boy's will be boy's.

I am trying now to figure out what type of truck mount to use, I like Debby's but I just don't know yet. The Shop is nice enough to hold it for me there till I figure out what to do. I love the Key Largo Kayak place such nice people in their.

Congrats Speargirl !! That's looks like pretty cool kayak. I have never used the Hobie Adventure Island but I spent many years freediving (& occasional scuba) from Sunfish sailboats. One of them is the one in my Avatar. I just moved to using a kayak about 7 years ago. Your boat looks like the best of both worlds. Having the sail will certainly make long range trips a breeze :D

WOW Becky, congratulations!!! What a cool kayak!!! I can't wait to go paddling with you...I'll have to bring mine down for the Invasion. :)

I was thinking the same thing maybe we can get a few more people to bring theres down:D I know some are bringing their jet skis as well.
icon14.gif
We should be set for playing in the water this year.

Taking it out in the morning with the boys so we can start getting used to it. I never thought I would say this but I am hoping for a little wind in the morning:wink:
So I am going to bed early tonight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom