Kayak "must haves"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike I totally agree with you for day long paddles. I myself own a very good PFD. But if Jenny is mostly going to kayak dive and not wear the thing, then the cheap one is just as safe and legal. She can buy a $20 one now and a $100 one later. Or save the $20 and just go for the good one now!

Jenny, you can get a SUPER cheap PFD at Bass Pro. Don't get the front mount orange kind, they are awful for paddling, but you can get a really cheap jacket style and don't forget to bring your rewards card! You need to have a whistle too but you probably have one.

Your yak may already have deck lines...mine does.

p.s. I'll bring my own paddle and PFD (with mandatory whistle attached) along with my yak for Julie for Sunday. You'll probably want to bring a picnic lunch and beverages because you'll be there for a few hours while I'm diving w/Conch.
Sounds good to me! Will drop by Bass Pro this week.. I work about a mile away. Dangerous.... Good idea on bringing some munchies too..

I personally don't agree with getting a "cheap PFD" for paddling.

if you're not going to wear it, then it's not a big deal how comfort/fit are. (as you just clip them on your yak. ) but if you are and paddling all day, the cheap ones will "rub" your arms typically.

they make special PFD's for kayaking to avoid this. I've got one and never want to wear a cheap one again for paddling. (Just my opinion).
Agree that I don't want to go chaf, erh, cheap, but I need it basically because it's a requirement. Will upgrade later. Thanks for the tip though..

Bass Pro has some cheapy ones with mesh panels, bottom line is try some on and see what's comfy.

fwiw, I've never worn my pfd when kayaking. (SOT)

I have it (basic type 2 pfd) tied to the bow, and have been stopped many times by bso, FWC, FLPD, etc...

you also need the BIG dive flag, since its a vessel, but you can 'get away' with the small floating type but it will need to be in the water not on the yak.

I've never been asked about whistle or flares... (do I need to carry them?)

how many here are diving mini season?

Anyone thinking of night dives? I migh be up for a night dive.

Florida Boating Law Basics

Class A Recreational Vessels
(less than 16 ft / less than 4.9m) or Canoes and Kayaks

PFD's are required to have but not worn.

If using at night must have a visual distress device. A flashing meets this requirement. You flash it like a strobe.

Sound Device.. such as a whistle.

So it comes down to a PFD, A flashlight(if at night), and a whistle.

I was (wrongly) told by one of the kayak sites I had to have a mirror and throw cushion. While in the Keys I was repeating this out loud and realized how stupid is that. I am the sole passenger who am I going to throw it too. SO I looked it up for myself and "ta da" there is not such requirement.

I however carry: a PFD, flares, mirror, VHF Radio, Whistles, Chemical Lights, Cell phone, GPS and a Glock when I go Kayak Diving. I want to get some of those awesome orange smokers but they are EXPENSIVE...

Florida Boating Law Basics

Class A Recreational Vessels
(less than 16 ft / less than 4.9m) or Canoes and Kayaks

Sound Device.. such as a whistle.

I never knew that you had to have a sound device (whistle) for kayak/canoe in Florida (or anywhere) (although I don't disagree it's a good idea).

In my state you only have to have them for vessels over 16ft that aren't Kayak Canoes.

I was (wrongly) told by one of the kayak sites I had to have a mirror and throw cushion.

most states the throw cushion is only required if its a motor or sail vessel over 16 feet. kayaks and canoes are exempt in most states that I know of.

I however carry: a PFD, flares, mirror, VHF Radio, Whistles, Chemical Lights, Cell phone, GPS and a Glock when I go Kayak Diving. I want to get some of those awesome orange smokers but they are EXPENSIVE...

A Glock?

you worried about pirates or something?

you leave it in your boat or have a holster on your BC?

I've been told you need the whistle or other sound device here in Florida. Because I paddle in the ocean and near boat channels, I carry a whistle and a compressed air horn. To the best of my knowledge, you do NOT need the throw cushion. Who am I going to throw it to in my one-seat yak anyway?

a whistle!

I do have one on my bc (doesn't everyone ?) but I'll tie one on the kayak, for when I don't take my tanks.

thanks.

-btw, does anyone know how to change the default thread subscription? every time I post I get a subscription... I think its why I don't post on this board...
(looks like in advanced / notification type) need to see if I can set that as a default...

night dive anyone?

Got a PFD. The cheaper ones were bland, and if I have to wear one, I want to be seen. It is lemon yellow. The paddle keeper looks easy enough to make that I decided to forego the $9.99 price tag for a DIY. Anybody got a heat gun for the shrinky part? :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom