Keep the O-ring in or take it out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JC Fedorczyk

Contributor
Reaction score
Newbie question.... I finally tracked down a PT-010 case (Thanks Cort!) and I have a question about O-ring maintenance. I know it's suggested to replace it every year but what happens throughout that year? Do you folks take the O-ring out in between dive trips? For instance you go on a dive trip and then the next trip isn't scheduled for another 2 months.

Have a "storage" set of o-rings, keep the housing closed with these o-rings so that nothing get's inside the housing, especially the o-ring grooves during storage. When it's time to take a trip, put in good o-rings and leave your storage set at home so you don't get confused with which is which on the trip.

I never leave the O rings in place except when the housing is prepared for diving. For storage and during travel I keep them in a ziplock bag with some silicon lubricant. Every time I open the housing, even if it's just for 5 minutes to download pics and change the batteries, I put the O rings in the ziplock bag and gently massage them to re-coat them with the lubricant.

-Mark

Keeping a silicone o-ring in a greasy bag or applying grease frequently is the worst thing you can do to them. Massaging or gently stretching also is not good. The material will absorb grease (even the special grease) over time, become more plyable & elongate to the point where it will no longer fit in the groove. The o-ring then needs replacement. If you feel a lubricant is necessary for installation use water - no grease. If it doesn't have to be removed from the housing for proper cleaning leave it in its groove. The more you handle the o-ring the shorter its life. (Neoprene o-rings (the black ones) require lubrication with silicone grease.) Don't over maintain your o-rings.

jcclink,

Your comments go against the instructions that came with my PT-015 housing, which say to re-grease the O-rings every time you open the case. Is there a reason Olympus would advise this if it is bad for the O-rings?

In the year and a half I've had the housing, I've used it about 50 times, and the O-rings still look to be in very good condition. The manual does advise to replace them once a year. However, mine look to be in good shape and the shop I bought it from (www.marinecamera.com) said that they don't really need replacing that often.

-Mark

Your mileage may vary. My comments are based on engineering & u/w photo experience over the past 30+ yrs. Parker, a major o-ring manufacturer, warns for the reasons I stated that grease should only be used VERY SPARINGLY. My Gates video housing also has a silicone main o-ring. Their manual says DO NOT grease. Oly also sells grease & o-rings, not that it has any bearing on their statements to grease. Just keep on close eye on your seal. If it starts to elongate replace it. You don't really need the grease - spit works just fine. The main thing is to keep it clean & don't handle it more than necessary.

JCClink is correct

in clear water conditions, I seldom ever removed the O-ring, just gave it a close visual inspection and closed the camera ( nikonos ) same goes for my housings!
done 1000,s of dives with a camera! only flooded them AFTER a O-ring removal! Really!

In silty conditions or when you may have set the camera on the bottom, then a VERY good inspection is required both to the O-ring and the entire sealing surface, if you see foreign objects, THEN do a remove and clean procedure!

for out of the camera storage, I suggest gently washing them in mild soapy water then storing them in Zip lock bags, AND possibly in a sealed box. UV light, can break down some O-ring compounds!

one more note, good pratice to remove orings belore flying! Not doing so may not lead to damage of the housing, but you may not be able to open it when you land.

Also IF you have it on the plane with you, NEVER open and close the housing with the oring in place while in flight. that will guarantee that you will not be able to open it until your flight home!

FWIW a recent real life experience...spent two weeks in Cozumel. Did not grease the o-rings ever, used a little spit run around the visible parts of o-rings. Did not remove the o-rings from their grooves. Did extremely careful visual inspection before sealing housing up again. Re-examined through case after sealing. Good to go.

Changing from rubber o-rings on my older housings to silicone ones meant having to change my approach. jc & Chris et al are spot on for this one - believe them...they've way more experience than I have & are the reason I changed!

It might be worth mentioning that it is NOT the grease which ever provides a seal - it's the O-ring itself. The main purpose of grease and O-rings is to prevent the O-rings getting trapped by friction and consequently not sitting properely in their bed. The amount of grease that would ever be required to 'condition' the O-ring is absolutely minimal.

Back
Top Bottom