keeping ears clean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. I've been using straight rubbing alcohol, and a few of my buddies use alcohol mixed with peroxide. Never heard of using vinegar+alcohol before.

I started using alcohol after buying a product called "swim ear" a few times for swimming in my pool. Later I noticed that the bottle said the only active ingredient was isopropyl alcohol. So from then on, no more overpriced .5oz bottle of swim ear when I can get a giant bottle of alcohol from wally world for about a buck.

Rubbing alcohol "neat" is fine to dry the but the addition of white vinegar helps acidify the ear canal. That can help reduce bacterial growth. I use this myself and have recommended it to anyone I see in the office with recurrent swimmer's ear. Alone it is not sufficient to treat an active infection but can reduce recurrence.

Good advice!

Here's my take on it: http://www.rothschilddesign.com/ear_scuba/

You don't need that much vinegar, basically just enough to acidify the alcohol. Things like hydrogen peroxide and debrox are more for breaking up earwax, aren't as good for swimmer's ear once it is established.

A good way to prevent swimmer's ear when you are diving a lot is to keep your ears dry: Macks EarDryer | Ear Dryer

Sometimes, you just need to have the earwax cleaned out by a doc under direct vision if it's impacted - that will prevent it from hanging on to water and setting you up for a swimmer's ear.

Mike

I use a blue liquid for dog ears that works for my Golden Retriever that I get at Petco. Smells like an alcohol mix and works for fungus and bacteria. Good enough for Bennigan, good enough for me. I swim everyday and use it after drying my ears. Half and eyedropper per ear, redry with q tip. Haven't had a problem since. Even works when I swim in the polluted waters of the Columbia River. Before this, I was chronically plagued by swimmers's ear to the point of almost giving up water sports. FDA won't approve, but haven't started howling yet. Cheers

I use a blue liquid for dog ears

dog_internet.jpeg

Rubbing alcohol "neat" is fine to dry the but the addition of white vinegar helps acidify the ear canal. That can help reduce bacterial growth. . . .

I've heard this before and have used a homemade 50-50 mix with success, but I've long wondered about it. I can understand vinegar reduces the pH to a range that inhibits bacterial growth. But wouldn't alcohol by itself inhibit bacterial growth?

I've heard this before and have used a homemade 50-50 mix with success, but I've long wondered about it. I can understand vinegar reduces the pH to a range that inhibits bacterial growth. But wouldn't alcohol by itself inhibit bacterial growth?

OK, I'm sure doctormike will do a better job with this but yes, the alcohol does have some antibacterial activity by denaturing bacterial proteins and dissolving bacterial cell membrane lipids. But this is a short term activity that essentially only acts against any bacteria immediately present in the ear canal. As I understand it, the vinegar will act more as a bacteriostatic and inhibit bacterial growth a period of time beyond its immediate effect. The vinegar will also have an antifungal action.

OK, I'm sure doctormike will do a better job with this but yes, the alcohol does have some antibacterial activity by denaturing bacterial proteins and dissolving bacterial cell membrane lipids. But this is a short term activity that essentially only acts against any bacteria immediately present in the ear canal. As I understand it, the vinegar will act more as a bacteriostatic and inhibit bacterial growth a period of time beyond its immediate effect. The vinegar will also have an antifungal action.

Aha. That makes sense. So the alcohol evaporates too quickly to have the desired antibacterial effect but is a good drying agent, while the vinegar is longer-acting but wouldn't by itself provide a drying effect. Thanks! I am prone to swimmer's ear.

I did not get ear infections for decades, then I started getting them after dive trips. I hate having to go to a doctor,sitting in the waiting room on the verge of tears from the pain, then paying for the exam & meds. Much better to prevent and now that I use the alcohol-vinegar mix, no problems.

I picked up my grandson after ear tube surgery and asked the doc if he could swim soon. He said to use alcohol & vinegar mix to prevent problems. :wink: My granddaughter's scout camp also required that after swimming, but the church camp she went to next did not - and she got an infection. I now finally have my daughter convinced: Can't hurt, and reduces risks...!

use debrox from your local pharmacy....thats the easy way...there are other methods available at your local phamacy that are more involved.
That's for ear wax, different deal. Ear Wax Removal - Debrox Ear Cleaning Kit Removes Ear Wax Easily - Convenient Ear Wax Drops :)

likely the product sold OTC for "swimmers ear" is of similar composition to the one mentioned as a DIY in the article. It accomplishes much of the same objectives; drying and acidifying, and is conveniently packaged and labeled so as not to arise attention in a toiletry bag during travel, or be mistaken for something else.
Nope, no vinegar in any I've checked. I don't think the mix has a long shelf life. I've been told to replace it after a month, but it's virtually free to make.

Interesting. I've been using straight rubbing alcohol, and a few of my buddies use alcohol mixed with peroxide. Never heard of using vinegar+alcohol before.

I started using alcohol after buying a product called "swim ear" a few times for swimming in my pool. Later I noticed that the bottle said the only active ingredient was isopropyl alcohol. So from then on, no more overpriced .5oz bottle of swim ear when I can get a giant bottle of alcohol from wally world for about a buck.
Yep, but the bottles are nice. I've been reusing the same ones for 10 years now. I tried buying some empty bottles on ebay, but didn't like what I found.

I've read pros & cons on hydrogen peroxide in the ear. I stick with the alcohol & vinegar mix. The alcohol can sting, so I've started adding some glycerine too - also cheap.

In a bind, I use swimmer's ear, since its OTC. I prefer a product called pramotic but unfortunately its been taken off the market for some reason.
Contains an antibiotic, so that would be overkill for prevention wouldn't it? Pramotic medical facts from Drugs.com

I use a blue liquid for dog ears that works for my Golden Retriever that I get at Petco. Smells like an alcohol mix and works for fungus and bacteria. Good enough for Bennigan, good enough for me. I swim everyday and use it after drying my ears. Half and eyedropper per ear, redry with q tip. Haven't had a problem since. Even works when I swim in the polluted waters of the Columbia River. Before this, I was chronically plagued by swimmers's ear to the point of almost giving up water sports. FDA won't approve, but haven't started howling yet. Cheers
You can make it yourself if you can find the dye. Stain meds have lost popularity. Blue Power Ear Treatment? - Chazhound Dog Forum The benefit of the dye is debatable, but if it works - it works. Crystal violet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I started using 50/50 alcohol and vinegar when I was on the high school swim team many, many years ago, and still use it today. I am prone to ear infections but if I use the mix no problems. Very inexpensive and the ingrediants are probably already in your house.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom