keeping ears clean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get dropper bottles from my local Walgreens. When they found out I was a scuba instructor they gave my a couple of the small brown bottles with droppers they use for kids prescriptions at no charge. I use a mix of alcohol, vinegar, and a little peroxide. Use it after every dive day and pool session. Keep a bottle in the truck. There are times when I feel my ears full after a shower and will use it then.
Nice thing is that the bottles are kind of universal and you can buy extra droppers over the counter. But whenever mine start to get dried out or lose suction the pharmacist just tosses me 5 or 6.

OK, I'm sure doctormike will do a better job with this but yes, the alcohol does have some antibacterial activity by denaturing bacterial proteins and dissolving bacterial cell membrane lipids. But this is a short term activity that essentially only acts against any bacteria immediately present in the ear canal. As I understand it, the vinegar will act more as a bacteriostatic and inhibit bacterial growth a period of time beyond its immediate effect. The vinegar will also have an antifungal action.

The low pH is good to combat pseudomonas, a common outer ear bacteria. The drying action of the alcohol is also important, since a chronically wet ear is a setup for not just bacterial but fungal infections, AKA otomycosis, AKA "jungle ear"..! That's why the blower is a good idea.

To address some other points - powders are great, but they are generally not FDA approved because the market for them is so small. One that works very well is boric acid powder, I apply it with a blower in the office, and then tell patients to keep the ear absolutely dry for a few days.

Another mixture that is great, but hard to come by, is CSF-HC Powder

Overuse of topical antibiotics drops kills bacteria, but that give fungus (which are not affected by antibiotics) an opportunity to grow. Sort of like how taking antibiotics can give you thrush (oral candida, a type of fungus).

DandyDon:
I picked up my grandson after ear tube surgery and asked the doc if he could swim soon. He said to use alcohol & vinegar mix to prevent problems.

Wow, I have never heard anyone recommend that!

Another mixture that is great, but hard to come by, is CSF-HC Powder
Again, I am surprised to see a recommendation for antibiotics as a prevention? :confused:

I picked up my grandson after ear tube surgery and asked the doc if he could swim soon. He said to use alcohol & vinegar mix to prevent problems.
Wow, I have never heard anyone recommend that!
I'm sure there a significant amount of time between the tube surgery and planned swimming, but I don't remember how long. Sorry if it sounded like I meant right away.

Again, I am surprised to see a recommendation for antibiotics as a prevention? :confused:

No, not as a prevention, as treatment after a thorough cleaning... sorry if I wasn't clear. I was just saying that powders are sometimes useful to treat swimmer's ear when drops have failed...

I'm sure there a significant amount of time between the tube surgery and planned swimming, but I don't remember how long. Sorry if it sounded like I meant right away.

There is no difference in the function or precautions regarding pressure equalizing tubes whether they have been in for 10 minutes or 10 months - no real "healing in" period.

My advice for tubes is that for older children who are diving more than a foot under water, they should wear ear plugs. For younger children and those who are just swimming on the surface, bathing or showering, no water precautions are necessary.

There are only two drops that are FDA approved for use with a non-intact TM (such as with ear tubes): Floxin and Ciprodex. Others may be OK, but there haven't been the studies to prove that, and some of these drugs are ototoxic. Theoretically, they could cause a hearing loss if they were to come in contact with the inner ear, so most people don't use them in this situation. Also, alcohol and vinegar stings if you get it in the middle ear....

hey guys,
Not sure this is the right location, but I'm trying to find out what people do to keep their ears clean when they dive.
Last time I went diving, after about 5 days I developed a small ear infection which prevented me from diving the subsequent 3 days.
Are there ear drops to keep ears clean? I know there are ear drops (alcohol based I think) to prevent water from clogging up in the ear canal, but I usually don't have that problem.

Sometimes excessive cleaning causes the problems in the first place. A very interesting video presentation here: The Diver's Ear
Pity about the ponytail but...

Note that if you're not equalising correctly and pro-actively, that will be the root of ear infections.

I use ear drops after a dive if there is water in there. Within a hour, all water is gone. I wear my hood even when it's warm enough not to. In the tropics I used a swimmer's cap, pulled down over my ears. This prevents water from going far into the ears. But if you make sudden moves like tipping your hear sideways (underwater, or while putting fins on), water will go farther in. In the pool I use doc's pro (ear) plugs. Water deep in the ear, I believe, is the cause of swimmer's ear, and as you know, can become quite painfull. In his youth, my brother once was hospitalized for this. Not sure about bacteria, but I suppose something nasty could wind up in there. Don't think I have had that problem.

Those of you using peroxide.... How long is the solution good for. (peroxide looses its phiz) Do you just mix up enough for that day. alcohol and vinigar i can see lasting for a much longer period.

wow, that's a whole host of responses, thanks guys!
So basically, Hydrogen Peroxide for regular cleaning, and 50/50 alcohol vinegar mix to kill potential bacteria and fungi from doing damage...
Thanks guys!

Sometimes, you just need to have the earwax cleaned out by a doc under direct vision if it's impacted - that will prevent it from hanging on to water and setting you up for a swimmer's ear.

Years ago I had water in my ears. I put peroxide in my ears and let it soak and then used a plunger to push in warm water. A huge piece of wax came out and the water was instantly gone. Then it felt weird because the ear with the water had better hearing so I did it with the other ear and another huge piece of wax came out. I really think that cleaning the ears every so often (other than using Q-tips) really helps reduce swimmers ear.

Back
Top Bottom