keeping ears clean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've found that a coke spoon works just as well. Just make sure that there is no residual coke that might get into your ear. I suggest you buy a second coke spoon and use it only for ear cleaning.

Unless you have very tenacious earwax, a 5 minute soak while lying on your side with Hydrogen Peroxide should do the trick.

I remember hearing on SNL that a carrot peeler works as well.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Years ago I had a Chinese girlfriend that gave me a little metal spoon that you can use to scoop the earwax out. It works very well and doesn't push the wax back into the ear. They're great also when you have an itch in your ear. They should sell them here but I think their would be a liability issue.
Redneck: Only use your own car keys to clean your ear.

Those spoons are readily available all over google shopping as ear scoops, ear spoons, ear pics.

I do produce a hell of a lot of wax, more than will fall out naturally. I think the dry desert air aggravates it, causes my ear canal to itch horribly - so I use the smooth, square ended handle of nail clippers - Revlon brand. Pointed handles are dangerous.

I remember hearing on SNL that a carrot peeler works as well.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

What? Must have some real dumbo ears for that to work. And carrot peelers are sharp.

In my first reply, right at the start of this string, I suggested a mix of vinegar and alcohol for swimmers ear, a superb preventative that has been repeated by other people about a dozen times since I posted it. I learned about it sometime back in the 1960s from an old free diver who said everybody with a damn bit of common sense and experience knows about vinegar and alcohol.

Wax is another issue. If you are going to start scraping around in your ear, your coke spoon is a better bet, Jim. If it's like any of mine, it's solid silver, so it has a natural germicidal quality right from the start. To play safe, disinfect it with some Cuervo Gold, and you are good to go.

Years ago I had a Chinese girlfriend that gave me a little metal spoon that you can use to scoop the earwax out. It works very well and doesn't push the wax back into the ear. They're great also when you have an itch in your ear. They should sell them here but I think their would be a liability issue.
Asians more commonly have the dry type ear wax, which is much easier to remove mechanically than the wet type ear wax, which is predominant among Westerners.

Asians more commonly have the dry type ear wax, which is much easier to remove mechanically than the wet type ear wax, which is predominant among Westerners.

Taste different, too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 74
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom