keeping ears clean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago I had water in my ears. I put peroxide in my ears and let it soak and then used a plunger to push in warm water. A huge piece of wax came out and the water was instantly gone. Then it felt weird because the ear with the water had better hearing so I did it with the other ear and another huge piece of wax came out. I really think that cleaning the ears every so often (other than using Q-tips) really helps reduce swimmers ear.

For most of us earwax is a nonissue as it just falls out as a natural function of the ear. For a few others, either the consistency of the wax or the structure of the canal causes the wax to build up in the ear. Q-tips or similar devices are a big no no. Wax forms near the opening of the ear. So besides possibly damaging the ear, putting anything smaller than your elbow in the ear often just packs the wax deeper into the ear canal creating a plug and making it even harder to remove.

For individuals that tend to wax build up, a few drops of olive oil (sweet oil), baby oil or glycerin each week or two can help keep the wax soft and encourage elimination. If the wax is still a problem, occasionally use of another cerumenolytic may be helpful. Hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide (debrox) can work but perhaps the most effective is docusate sodium. Yes that's right, a stool softener! You can get it OTC in a soft gel capsule. Carefully puncture with a clean needle and squeeze the liquid into the canal. It is also available as a liquid OTC for children but has added ingredients to make it palatable for children.

For that truly impacted ear, Elephant Ear ear wash is great if used carefully and only when there is an actually problem with wax accumulation. It is not for routine wax prevention. I am not necessarily endorsing home use but it is available on Amazon.

Do not use ear candles. They are not effective and pose an obvious injury risk.

And remember, for most of us, earwax is our friend. It helps protect the skin of the ear canal.

Hope this helps,

Lisa

Aside from all the stuff you could put in your ear after the dive, I personally like to put plugs in my ears to prevent getting stuff in there in the first place. Then after the dive I rinse my ears with water.

Aside from all the stuff you could put in your ear after the dive, I personally like to put plugs in my ears to prevent getting stuff in there in the first place. Then after the dive I rinse my ears with water.

You wear earplugs during a dive? How do you keep things equalized? My understanding is that earplugs when diving was certain disaster.

You wear earplugs during a dive? How do you keep things equalized? My understanding is that earplugs when diving was certain disaster.

He must mean doc's pro plugs (with the pin hole in them). Also, I probably shouldn't say this, but I have showered almost every day for my whole life and used Q Tips to dry my ears after each time and after each dive. No problems so far and I'll soon be 60. Except when having congestion (like once a year), I equalize like a rocket.

He must mean doc's pro plugs (with the pin hole in them). Also, I probably shouldn't say this, but I have showered every day for my whole life and used Q Tips to dry my ears after each time and after each dive. No problems so far and I'll soon be 60. Except when having congestion (likie once a year), I equalize like a rocket.

I use Q-Tips a lot myself, although not every day. I usually don't mention it when ear discussions come up because it's such a big no-no.

I use Q-Tips a lot myself, although not every day. I usually don't mention it when ear discussions come up because it's such a big no-no.

Years ago I had a Chinese girlfriend that gave me a little metal spoon that you can use to scoop the earwax out. It works very well and doesn't push the wax back into the ear. They're great also when you have an itch in your ear. They should sell them here but I think their would be a liability issue.

He must mean doc's pro plugs (with the pin hole in them). Also, I probably shouldn't say this, but I have showered almost every day for my whole life and used Q Tips to dry my ears after each time and after each dive. No problems so far and I'll soon be 60. Except when having congestion (like once a year), I equalize like a rocket.

Like most things in life, it's not a problem until there's a problem. If it works for you, go for it. It will only cause a problem if you injure the canal (rare) or catch some of the wax and push it deeper into the canal causing the beginnings of a plug. And I have seen some truly dramatic (ugh!) plugs come out of the ears of people that use Q-tips. You don't know the plug is there though until it starts causing a problem. Wonder what I would see if I looked in your ears? :shocked2: But who am I to judge. :D And there is really no upside to using them in the ear canal. Most people get very little water in the ear during showers.

Years ago I had a Chinese girlfriend that gave me a little metal spoon that you can use to scoop the earwax out. It works very well and doesn't push the wax back into the ear. They're great also when you have an itch in your ear. They should sell them here but I think their would be a liability issue.

I've found that a coke spoon works just as well. Just make sure that there is no residual coke that might get into your ear. I suggest you buy a second coke spoon and use it only for ear cleaning.

Unless you have very tenacious earwax, a 5 minute soak while lying on your side with Hydrogen Peroxide should do the trick.

This has been a topic on the Cave Divers sites for years. It is called Ear Beer. A 50/50 mix of Alcohol and white vinegar. Here is the trick. 5 minute dwell time in each ear. There are articles from folks that know. It seems to come up more often on the CDF because we dive in fresh water and it seems ear issues are more prevalent from fresh water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom