Keeping lobsters in an aquarium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoupart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I've been catching a lot of lobsters lately and thought a little about setting up a salt water tank to hold them in until I'm hungry. Has anybody tried this kind of thing before, and if so, how'd it work? How complicated is it to set up a salt water tank for a couple of bugs?

shoupart:
Hi,
I've been catching a lot of lobsters lately and thought a little about setting up a salt water tank to hold them in until I'm hungry. Has anybody tried this kind of thing before, and if so, how'd it work? How complicated is it to set up a salt water tank for a couple of bugs?

Ive heard of people doing it but I have also heard it is illegal unless you have some type of commercial live fish licence.

Interesting concept. Check with DFG on legalities. I do know that lobsters at home count as in your possesion and count against the total you are allowed to have. Some say that is the limit of 7 others 14. Which is right, I don't know. So far I have not caught enough for it to be an issue. Check with DFG and get a read on how many you can have in your possesion (game bag+car+boat+freezer+aquarium).

I read up on the dfg regs before and the regs are very vague and as the regs read you are allowed 7 in possesion so live or in your freezer counts as your 7 lobtser limit.

So what happens if you buy live lobsters at your supermarket and stick them in an aquarium? Ha ha, Keep the receipt.

scubapro5:
I read up on the dfg regs before and the regs are very vague and as the regs read you are allowed 7 in possesion so live or in your freezer counts as your 7 lobtser limit.
That is how I read the DFG regulation is total of 7 period unless you have a multi-day fishing trip permit on file. Others have a different interpretation. Who is right? I don’t know. But 7 is the conservative answer that will not get you cited. I have been told by some that is not correct, but I have seen nothing in writing.

Bottom line, read the DFG for yourself. There are lots of people out there who mean well, but are going not by what they read, but by what someone told them, or they misread the regulations.

Live transportation of a "Game" species is prohibited. As for the limit, you are allowed 7 total per licensed person per household. So technically I can have 21 bugs at my house at any time. 7 for me, 7 for licensed wife and 7 for child that is under 16 and not required to have a license yet.(he's not even 1 yet)

Kyle

whalerkyle:
Live transportation of a "Game" species is prohibited. As for the limit, you are allowed 7 total per licensed person per household. So technically I can have 21 bugs at my house at any time. 7 for me, 7 for licensed wife and 7 for child that is under 16 and not required to have a license yet.(he's not even 1 yet)

Kyle

Wow...I had thought that my unlicensed kids are counted in with me, when determining when we've reached limits....

Guess I'll have to get out my rules again...heh

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is this...Are you planning to have a DFG officer to you house anytime soon?

whalerkyle:

Kyle

Hey Kyle your correct that kids under 16yrs are allowed a limit of fish or in this case lobster but if checked by dfg you will have to show sometype of proof how your child caught the lobsters either by hoopnet or diving for them.

For lobster that new dfg law called boat limits does not apply.

Back
Top Bottom