Keeping lobsters in an aquarium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoTJ:
I guess the question you have to ask yourself is this...Are you planning to have a DFG officer to you house anytime soon?
True. They will not normally come to your home unless they are following up on a tip, or have caught you at another location doing somthing you shouldn't or in possesion of somehing you should't have. Then they may make a visit for tea.

Last year, they conducted an investigation into a diver who was supplying a local hospital staff with lobsters, for a price. They checked his home freezer and found 60 bugs. License Plate making is a job skill isn't it?

I was pulled over by 2 DFG trucks last year in front of my driveway. They said they followed me all the way from the launch ramp, 17 miles away. They did a complete search of my boat, gear and truck.
They didn't go near of even ask about my house. After the search, and measurement of all game caught, they said, "have a nice day" and drove away.

Kyle

scubapro5:
Hey Kyle your correct that kids under 16yrs are allowed a limit of fish or in this case lobster but if checked by dfg you will have to show sometype of proof how your child caught the lobsters either by hoopnet or diving for them.

For lobster that new dfg law called boat limits does not apply.
Agreed.

The new boat limit law applies to lobster when there is an infraction. If my buddy pulls and keeps a short, "all people involved on the private boat will be cited". Straight from the nice DFG Pistol Packin man in Dana Point.

whalerkyle:
Agreed.

The new boat limit law applies to lobster when there is an infraction. If my buddy pulls and keeps a short, "all people involved on the private boat will be cited". Straight from the nice DFG Pistol Packin man in Dana Point.
It would appear the good DFG officer is misinformed.

The DFG regulations Title 14, Natual Resources Section 195(e)(3) says:
(3) All persons aboard a vessel may be cited where violations involving boat limits are found, including, but not limited to the following violations:

(so far DFG officer is correct except for the below)

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mapregs5.html
The boat limit regulations defined in Section 195(e) do not apply to lobster - each diver/hoopnetter may only take his/her individual daily bag and possession limit.

So the provisions of paragraph (e) which would include subparagraph (e)(3) do not apply to lobster.

Not an attorney or other authority. But the written regulation is quite clear, boat limits do NOT apply to lobster, and that includes the section on citing everyone on the boat if one bug is found short.

Just my $0.02. Don't mean its right.

Everyone send me $10, and Ill try it tonight and see if all 5 peeps on my boat get cited. That would be a sick joke to play.

Kyle

whalerkyle:
Everyone send me $10, and Ill try it tonight and see if all 5 peeps on my boat get cited. That would be a sick joke to play.

Kyle
Riiiggggghhhht, you do that. Now, don't get me wrong, the DFG may cite you, but they would IMHO be wrong and you would win in court on the whole boat getting cited. The regulation is clear black ink on white paper says boat limits do not apply to lobster.

It is just like opening night at 9:00 PM Saturday night I had the US Coast Guard informe me the season did not open until 12:01 SUNDAY morning. WRONG! I told them that was incorrect informationi. That the season had started Saturday morning at 12:01 AM and advised them to check the DFG regulations, and I would be happy to provide them a copy if they needed it.

I don't know that much about the rules, but I do have salt water tanks. Non with lobster but if you need to know more about setting up a tank I would be glad to help.

Dr. Mark Flahan (SDSU Diving Safety Officer) is an expert on raising CA spinys in tanks. He ran a big research project some time ago and may have published a paper or two (?).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom